Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Trip Report: Camping under the wings in Sweden

Great write up and photos :) Visingsö is a definitely a gem. If you have a few more days you can check out the oak forests i southern part of the island. They were planted in the 18th century to secure the supply of oak to build battle ships. Recently the navy got a notice they were ready for delivery.. Not very often you see 20 m tall oaks without a branch on them. If you take the ferry to Gränna you can visit the Andree museum in memory of an attempt to fly a balloon to the north pole.

ESG..., Sweden

Looks like you had a great trip. I am very glad that you landed on the famous “Herring Evening”. It is a great example of how great GA can be.

ESSZ, Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

What kind of camera did you use for the aerial photos?

We had a GoPro for some shots, on some flights mounted to the wing strut. We also had the DJI Mavic Pro drone for the “non-flying” aerial shots. Some shots are iPhone products. Aviathor wrote:

A blimp took off from the grass just as I landed.

It’s called “Theo” and flies a lot at weekends. It was destroyed during the Ela storm in 2014 and has been rebuilt for a lot of money, even though the airfield is likely to be closed in less than 10 years from now.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

To the point that I get slightly annoyed by the non-stabilised GoPro footage, which might lure me into buying a Karma Grip at some point

Yes; you got a bit of jello there, which could be the mount or it could be interaction between the airframe vibration and the camera stabilisation – see the X3000 thread in the IT section. I would not necessarily expect a DJI-type stabilised mount to deal with airframe vibration; they are good for stuff like walk/ski/bike videos. The X3000’s optical stabilisation very definitely can’t hence my “epoxy solution”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes EDLE is very high on my “go to” list

I flew to EDLE last weekend. Arrived on Friday and left on Sunday. Parked on the hard apron just in front of the restaurant, with a short walk to the tower and the gate.

Very friendly airport. A blimp took off from the grass just as I landed. Very smooth handover to Langen for IFR clearance. They called me on Monday to obtain my noise certificate because it would be cheaper.

LFPT, LFPN

Patrick wrote:

Definitely! Also, I remember from another thread you’re planning to fly out to EDLE sometime. Happy to meet up there, too! Both have nice restaurants with a view.

Yes EDLE is very high on my “go to” list because my sister lives nearby and compared to my “home airspace” its a much more interesting challenge to navigate there.

What kind of camera did you use for the aerial photos?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I will be moving to Hannover next week, maybe we can meet there or in EDLP someday :)

Definitely! Also, I remember from another thread you’re planning to fly out to EDLE sometime. Happy to meet up there, too! Both have nice restaurants with a view.

Peter wrote:

The quality of the DJI stabilised camera is stunning!

Indeed! To the point that I get slightly annoyed by the non-stabilised GoPro footage, which might lure me into buying a Karma Grip at some point.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Fantastic trip Patrick, thanks for sharing!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Super report, Patrick. Thanks very much for writing it up

The quality of the DJI stabilised camera is stunning!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice trip!

13 Posts
Sign in to add your message