Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What discourages European pilots from flying to the UK?

Oban (and Coll and Collonsay) are Argyll and Bute, not HIAL.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

did I miss anything

Yes, I guess that you’ve never flown in the Galloway forest park – no ATC, no landing fees, no EASAholes, no PPR, no dirty tyres, no Obergruppenflugleiter, and, of course, clear blue sky:

Last Edited by Jacko at 30 May 23:18
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

did I miss anything

Yes; loads. Like the £1 all-day breakfasts, fried in used 15W50.

The truth is that “dump airports” are everywhere, and hi-viz police (and other crazy people) exist all over Europe in specific places, which the locals avoid, so you don’t read about them in the local-language forums. The pilots who come across them are those who fly significant distances, but they are a tiny minority in most countries.

Beautiful video, Peter. Morning or evening light?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@jacko – that is a BEAUTIFUL little video… I’m convinced… visiting Scotland. Soon!!!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

Yes; loads. Like the £1 all-day breakfasts, fried in used 15W50.

Honestly, those are the best :-)

Actually, there seems to be a lot of generic moaning about British food, but it has improved dramatically in recent years. The airport café might still be a greasy spoon in a lot of places, but you don’t have to go far to find a place that is both good value and serves great food (and I suspect most people’s non-pilot passengers would like to visit the surroundings anyway, rather than sitting at the airfield all afternoon).

Even places like Blackpool (not renowned for haute cuisine) have good places to eat, within an easy tram ride of the airport (and an airport that actually has decent opening hours – one of the very few GA airfields in the country in a useful place which has decent opening hours).

Last Edited by alioth at 31 May 08:53
Andreas IOM

The airport café might still be a greasy spoon in a lot of places, but you don’t have to go far to find a place that is both good value and serves great food (and I suspect most people’s non-pilot passengers would like to visit the surroundings anyway, rather than sitting at the airfield all afternoon).

Agreed 100% and I wrote the same above in my long post. One has to get off the airfield.

Administrator

On the (super) plus side…you couldn’t (legally) make Jacko’s flight in Europe…but perfectly legal on the UK!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

Like the £1 all-day breakfasts,

Where can you get breakfast for £1

e.g Blackbushe charge around £8.50 for a decent sized breakfast but with one slurp sized coffee – a descent coffee is extra.

I have seen quite a lot of posts on your favourite UK aviation chat site, when I was on there pre-EuroGA, along the lines of choosing the destination according to how much the ADB costs

I am sure you can find a place which does a “stent-size” fry-up for a few quid That’s in straight-80; the 15W50 fry-up would be more.

Administrator

The simple fact of life is that most people (or if not they than the one calling the shots on financial matters) are thrifty nickles and will accept whatever it takes to save a buck on food (or on other things). We see that in the airline industry where people will fly LCC’s with demeaning and hassling provisions (hand luggage only, cattle style boarding, no food on board, e.t.c.) just to fly cheap. That, imho, has ruined the whole experience of airline flying.

So why should PPL’s be any different? In the eye of their better halfs they do spend a lot of money for this hobby already so they really should be careful what they spend on food e.t.c.

I remember going on a trip with some folks by bus at the time visiting a museum. Planned was lunch in a restaurant across the street. Opposite that place was an IKEA. Turned out that the very decent 20€ meal in the restaurant was waaaay to expensive for the lot of them so out of 50 folks in that bus, 48 opted to cross the street and eat meatballs for 4 Euros a platter with free-refill drinks.

Life today. Cheapo first, culture? What culture?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message