Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What discourages European pilots from flying to the UK?

I hope they use fresh 15W50 for salads. Or is anything green out of the question?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

you couldn’t (legally) make Jacko’s flight in Europe

I don’t know. Perhaps in France where we have a lot of freedom in a ULM, including off-airport landings? One would need to check for byelaws, nature reserves, etc., as we do in Britain – and wires, of course.

That was a morning flight in early spring, before the Ospreys start nesting. The Galloway forest is pretty when the sun shines on it; smaller and softer than the Highlands, and of course nowhere near as awe-inspiring as Europe’s real mountains. But it’s only three minutes from home…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Jacko, beautiful! Must be tricky to judge your height over some of that glassy water.

Well, it’s not really difficult, more like impossible when the surface is really like a mirror. The standard technique is to get as low as possible over land and/or close to a shore and then descend rather slowly and steadily until the wheels are safely on the water. No attempt to round out or flare, just add forward stick and a bit of gas on touch down.

In practice, one can often cheat by selecting a patch of water with a tiny ripple on which to touch down. Take off is the same procedure in reverse, except that a good initial rate of climb is desirable – no hanging around in ground effect.

Of course, unlike a floatplane or landing on a hard runway there’s no need to fuss over a bit of yaw at touch-down, so in that respect it’s much easier.

Jacko wrote:

I don’t know. Perhaps in France where we have a lot of freedom in a ULM, including off-airport landings?

As far as I know only the UK has derogated the SERA 500’ lower limit…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I have seen quite a lot of posts on your favourite UK aviation chat site, when I was on there pre-EuroGA, along the lines of choosing the destination according to how much the ADB costs

Most are supersized too. So it’s All Day Supersized Breakfast. Or ADS-B for short.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

There are several Flying events in the UK which attract a number of Foreign visiting aircraft.
mainly.

Flying Legends at Duxford 14/15th July 2018

LAA rally at Sywell 30th Aug / 1st-2nd Sept

Air Britain Fly-in at North Weald. 30th June 1st July

Aeroexpo at Wycombe Air Park / Booker 14/15/16th June

There is a very good listing of all the UK events at

http://events.royalaeroclub.org/eventuk.htm

Problem with Duxford is PPR slots, a number of aircraft fly into Cambridge or Fowlmere.
Fowlmere is a small grass airfield very close to Duxford and normally see,s 100 visiting european aircraft parked up here for Duxford.
http://newsite17.modair.co.uk/duxford-fly-in-information

Southend, United Kingdom

As far as I know only the UK has derogated the SERA 500’ lower limit…

Sure, but SERA.5005 (f) applies “__Except when necessary for take-off or landing, or…__”

The wording is less restrictive than the old UK CAA Rules of the Air, in that the exemption applies not only for full stop or touch & go landings, but also for rejected landings and for low passes to inspect the surface, clear wildlife or livestock, etc. – regardless of whether the pilot thereafter decides to land.

For that, I think we have French and other European mountain pilots to thank, because a « reconnaissance basse » is required standard practice at altisurfaces.

Indeed…but in the UK there is no need to concoct a dodgy story about looking for a suitable landing place…. under the 2015 Rules of the Air the UK had filed General Exemptions to SERA including GE 3940:

https://caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294972787

General Exemption E 3940
Standardised European Rules of the Air – Permissions Required by the Standardised European Rules of the Air for Certain Flight Operations
1) The Civil Aviation Authority, on behalf of the United Kingdom, pursuant to Article 14(4) of Regulation (EC) No. 216/2008, exempts any operator or pilot of an aircraft referred to in Annex 1 to this Exemption (‘Annex 1’) from the requirement to have a permission issued by the competent authority pursuant to SERA. 3105, SERA.5001, SERA.5005 and SERA.5015 whilst flying in United Kingdom airspace in the circumstances and for the flight operations mentioned in Annex 1, subject to the condition set out in paragraph 2.
2) The condition specified in paragraph 1 is that the operator and pilot must comply with any conditions which would otherwise be required under such a permission if it had been granted by the competent authority, as referred to, and specified, in Annex 1.
3) In this exemption ‘SERA’ means Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No. 923/2012 (‘the Standardised European Rules of the Air’ (SERA)).
4) This exemption has effect from 00:01 hours on 4 December 2014 until 23:59 hours on 9 December 2014, unless previously revoked.
Annex 1
PartA ExceptionstotheMinimumHeightRequirements 1) General (SERA.5005(f)(2))
a) The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) permits, under paragraphs SERA.3105 and SERA.5005(f), an aircraft to fly at a height of less than 150 metres (500 feet) above the highest obstacle within a radius of 150 metres (500 feet) from the aircraft, subject to the condition set out in subparagraph (b).
b) The aircraft must not be flown closer than 150 metres (500 feet) to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure except with the permission of the CAA.
Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 02 Jun 04:18
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

I have seen quite a lot of posts on your favourite UK aviation chat site

Isnt that euroga.org ?

Sign in to add your message