Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (26-27 August 2023)

Went for a local and got some nice formation pics

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just went for a local flight with my father, who hasn’t flown for a while.

Morty wrote:

Waverley, the World’s last seagoing paddle steamer at Tighnabruaich

A few years ago I helped them find some valve connectors for the engine room. Good to hear they’re still going.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

We were supposed to fly back from Cuers to the UK early Sunday morning, but the dreadful forecast (TS all day) gave us the idea to pop up to Nîmes to see the in-laws (wife points!) on Saturday and leave straight from there Sunday, which also allowed us to clear customs.

It was mildly bumpy IMC at FL220 up til half-way to Paris, but given how many airliners were complaining at FL300+ and even descending to FL280, I think we had the better trip. 3.2h flight time, no ATC slots, we also beat them door to door…

The weather cleared north of Paris giving us a good view of the bends of the Seine, the French and English coasts. Picked up a tiny bit of ice on the way down, just enough to keep my pax busy checking the elevator for signs of it.

Next week is IR reval so this was a good opportunity to do some hand flying in IMC too.

Last Edited by denopa at 31 Aug 09:26
EGTF, LFTF

On Saturday, made the hop over the hills to Oban with the wife expecting a quick cuppa then back before the rain set in. Actually the weather turned out much better so we took a scenic route home:

Oban harbour and tall ship

Seil Island with flooded quarries

Waverley, the World’s last seagoing paddle steamer at Tighnabruaich

A great priviledge to be flying in such scenery, close to home!

Morty
Perth EGPT, United Kingdom

Spent a few hours with duck tape and a selection of wood strips to try and balance the ailerons on the Nord. Lots of trial and error. Ended up going well so she’s no longer gently turning left. Very happy.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

it won’t allow me to do the big camping trips

A tent is only about 3kg. Maybe a few more with other stuff, so should be possible?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I took my godson for his first flight, aged 3 and a half…

EGLM & EGTN

Well, not quite the weekend, but mid week, last week I managed to get checked out on a Savanagh aircraft.

As many of you will have read, the Arrow II that my club owned and that I’ve flown for almost 20 years, was sold and the club is disbanding. Hence my need to find something else to fly.

This might not be a replacement for the Arrow, and it won’t allow me to do the big camping trips that I’ve done before (no space for the luggage!). But it will keep my flying and probably allow me to visit quite a few airfields in Ireland that were previously unavailable to me in the arrow due to their short length. And at just €110 / hour, it’s hard to go wrong!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

planes in the parking area were getting showered in spent lead shot

Interesting… to say the least. Airplanes have been shot at in the past, but not in such an indirect way

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Monday was a bank holiday yet there was surprisingly little GA activity, despite generally decent weather… I dropped into Wadswick farm for lunch, but ended up chatting to the owner of this shiny Luscombe for so long that the kitchen closed by the time I actually went into the restaurant…

Unfortunately there was a clay shooting event on which meant planes in the parking area were getting showered in spent lead shot. I swiftly moved my plane further away where it was fine, but it wasn’t something I’ve encountered before!

United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message