Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What was your favourite flying trip ever?

Ah! The Arizona Meteor Crater has been on my list for many years! One day …

I can not pick any “favorite” flying trip, but there is one that I would call “most memorable”: My first Atlantic crossing with a C421 that we had bought in the States with borrowed money to start a flying business. One of the stupid things that one does when one is young – not the intercontinental flight, but starting a flying business without money
That was in 1992, but I still remember every detail of the trip. Where I sat in the American Airways DC10 that took me from Frankfurt to Dallas, the American soldier (high ranking) sitting next to me, who drank a whole bottle of Bourbon during the flight and was still capable of giving an accurate salute to the smartly dressed soldiers who met him in the States. The fistfight about a jacket hung over the wrong barstool between two american airline pilots at the hotel Bar in Norman, Oklahoma while a “lingerie show” given by some country girls was taking place at the same time, ….. and so on. Unfortunately – or fortunately for you guys – my iPad battery is now down to three percent so I can’t tell the whole story now. But it was unforgettable!

Last Edited by what_next at 30 Jul 21:14
EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

I can not pick any “favorite” flying trip, but there is one that I would call “most memorable”: My first Atlantic crossing with a C421 that we had bought in the States with borrowed money to start a flying business.

Talk about risky. What were you thinking? Starting a flying business!

EGTK Oxford

Flyer59 wrote:

The nicest one I have done was through MOROCCO …

Don’t remind me about flying in Morocco… We had a flat tire on the runway in Tanger. Took us two days to find a guy that could fix it.
When it was finally repaired it blew again. In the end we had a new wheel sent over from NL.

In my previous flying (pre 2001) with my then Cessna 150 I had a few trips which stood out.

Zurich – Perpignan and back in one day.

Early morning departure in ZRH to Lyon Bron and on to Perpignan to take a pic of a rare airplane, then back via Avignon and Geneva. Landing 10 mins before curfew at night. Longest ever flying day, over 10 hours airborne time. The first and the return legs from Avignon to Geneva and on to ZRH were IFR.

Roundtrip in January ZRH – Nice – Avignon – Geneva – ZRH

Wonderful trip from wintery Switzerland to spring like temps in the South of France. Sitting outside in Nice and Avignon in the middle of winter was quite nice.

Longest trip distance wise was from ZRH to Gerona and Ampuriabrava, all VFR. Loved the area, Roses, Cadaques and Figueras with all the Dali Museums and other attractions. Need to retrace that one one day.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Europe in a right hand circuit – VFR :)

Sweden → Prague → Hungary/Sármellék airport → Zagreb → Italy/Lucca → Cannes → Sweden

Maybe I will do a real trip some day. But it must be some bush-flying in Alaska/Canada, Australia or South Africa (that Safari post looks really cool). Flying in the Scandinavian mountains and coastline is also rather fun

The trip(s) with most “content” are probably flying from home with the Cub to Oppdal. Spending the day there towing gliders and doing a bit of gliding myself. Then home again late at night in the Cub.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Island hopping in French Polynesia !

Last Edited by Michael at 31 Jul 09:17
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Super Cub on skis in the Swiss Alps was awesome.

Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message