Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When a Go Around would do

Happened at weekend allegedly. Note the windsock though. Whilst crosswind, it did not look that strong…..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Go-around is perhaps not the prime option when performing an emergency landing …
Further enlightenment available here (and elsewhere)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I would rather say: “The forgotten art of sideslipping”.

Last Edited by what_next at 16 Sep 13:37
EDDS - Stuttgart

Darwin Award candidate

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I don’t much like to judge other people mishaps, especially when the root cause isn’t clear, but this did remind me of my instructor once saying “if you end up low and fast, don’t forget you can slip to lose speed as well as height”. If you’d carried a bit of extra speed on approach due to gusty conditions, it can be useful on short final.

I hope this fellow is able to rebuild his plane, it’s an appealing type.

Some if these carbon frames are so “slippery” that sideslipping have minimal effect, don’t know about this particular type. Maybe he was way too high and already had sideslipped the whole way?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Tangent alert: the Cherry is a late 70s design that appears to be inspired by the Rand KR2, thoughtfully developed but using the same wood, foam and glass construction and general shape. How well it slips, I have no idea. Of my two planes, one slips like crazy when desired, the other fights slips like crazy. Still a good tool in the toolbox.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Sep 14:49

I learned to fly on PA28s, and used to sideslip a LOT on the cub (looking out the side window for landing), but I hear there are types that should not be sideslipped (I think some cessnas (172? With flaps down)).
I now mostly fly a DA40, I read the manual and didn’t see any warning so assuming it’s reasonable (but to be fair haven’t really needed it so far), but is it clearly indicated when side slip not advisable?

Noe wrote:

I think some cessnas (172? With flaps down)

That’s what they write in the manual, I think it is valid for all high-wing Cessnas. The most often heard explanation is that the horizontal tailplane can lose effectiveness in a sideslip when the aircraft is in flaps-down attitude. Luckily the aircraft does not know about the manual. I tried it at altitude with several planes and found that I had enough elevator control. But there might be center of gravity positions where this is not the case. In a situation like this where a crash is unavoidable (he touches down between the “piano keys” and the runway end…) a sidelip, even if the manual cautions against it, would certainly not have made things worse.

Last Edited by what_next at 16 Sep 15:19
EDDS - Stuttgart

I have sideslipped the Meridian and the Mustang. It works.

EGTK Oxford
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message