Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yet another "new" "toy" to fly for me... (Beech 33)

Yeah…well….ok….Mogas….hmmm…..ok….. you need to be really into it though.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

Mogas….hmmm…..ok….. you need to be really into it though.

Why? It is a huge cost saving factor. Within Switzerland it is a whopping 50 cents difference per Liter!

So at a consumption of 10 GPH, near 20 Euros per HOUR or 2000 Euros per year @ 100 hours if you can profit from that vs Avgas.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

it is a huge cost saving factor. Sure. No doubt

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Still very much enjoying the Debonair. Been to St. Hubert (EBSH) and to Noertrange in Luxembourg (ELNT) today. What a great short and soft field performer! Noertrange is a challenging strip and the Beech feels right at home there.

Now in Pattonville (EDTQ), near Stuttgart. Thanks @Snowbirdxx for getting PPR for me!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

How would you compare a Debonair / Bonanza vs a Cirrus re. it’s capability on short and on grass fields ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 23 Jun 20:29
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I’m still lacking experience with the Deb at high TOWs, so can’t say.
I would tend to say the Deb will be better at soft grass fields, thanks to no wheel pants and bigger tires. The Cirrus on the other hand, thanks to better power-to-weight ratio, will be better on short hard runways, and those with obstacles on departure (you just zoom over them in the Cirrus).
At grass fields which are not soft: hard to say.

That is compared to the SR 20 or 22 which has 310 hp) ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

SR22 of course. The SR20 is niche product nowadays and doesn’t play any role in the short / soft field game.

EuroFlyer wrote:

How would you compare a Debonair / Bonanza vs a Cirrus re. it’s capability on short and on grass fields ?

That really depends. The Debonair is relatively under powered at 225 HP. Its younger brother, the C33A or the F33A has 285 Hp and some are upgraded via STC to the IO550B with 300 HP. I have about a little over a 100 hours in a Cirrus SR22TN and did not find its brakes anywhere near the capacity of my V35A Bonanza. The SR22 has the best systems of avionics, has more power, but is not as fun to hand fly than a Bonanza. I would not be comfortable flying an SR22 into any field less than 2500 feet. I would operate my Bonanza into a 1500 foot strip.

KUZA, United States

I agree with your assessment, and you can rapid descent a Bonanza with 4000fpm with gear down, flaps and circling descent. I‘ve never flown an SR22 but I would love to try it once.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message