Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zlin 142 as first airplane

JnsV wrote:

still about 500 aero and many more normal hours left in the airframe.

good luck, keep fingers crossed for you. Don´t forget about service intervals on airframe, this might be a factor as well. when training on Trener, go for 226MS or 526F model, 326M is kind of lazy….

LKKU, LKTB

Martin wrote:

And I think there was 42L

you are right, there was an attempt in 70ties but the project was abandoned. Speaking of Treners – I have updated my Trener visual recognition sheet with English labels. So if you consider a difference between Z-226M and Z-226MS a live critical matter, help yourself ;-)

Last Edited by Michal at 15 Nov 17:49
LKKU, LKTB

Michal, thanks for your detailed post. Fortunately the plane I’m looking at has a well documented history and still about 500 aero and many more normal hours left in the airframe. I’ll try to see how much I can get around the time (especially calendar time) limits of the engine and the prop. If unable, I won’t buy.

The 26 series are surely nice aircraft and I will certainly do some training on the 326M they have at LHNY, but I would not buy something with tandem seating. I like to sit next to my partner.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

The 242 is L as well. To be precise, it’s Z 242 L Guru as I just looked it up. And I think there was 42L, just a prototype (also with a Lycoming). The pattern is clear.

Actually, it’s 143L as Lycoming, 143 was a upgraded 43 with forward sliding canopy but still m337 engine. Only a single piece ever produced I believe. And there was aslo 43L – temporary conversion an older 43 to Lycoming.

LKKU, LKTB

Michal wrote:

142 is not in production any more, currently they are offering Z-242 (similar airframe with Lycoming engine)

True. I forgot it has a different designation while 143 is still 143.

Zlin Z-42 (2-seater) and Z-42 (4-seater) family was mid 60ties attempt of Moravan factory to replace ageing Zlin-x26 family with a modern design and seat by seat configuration. But, at the end, the aircraft was heavier and slower than the original to be replaced. Z-142 was mid 70ties attempt to „upgrade“ to Z-42. So, again 2 seater but it was heavier and thus requiring bigger engine. So M-137 at Z-42 was replaced with a compressor M-337 used on Z-42. So in the end, Z-142 is pretty similar to Z-43 but being only 2 seater.

It was used also for aerobatics but the fatigue is a factor here. If the aircraft is flown properly and aero time properly monitored (time limit on aerobatics exists), should not be issue. The aircraft crashed in 1999 kiiling Ivan Tucek (winned of 1978 aerobatics championship) was the undocumented history case, the aircraft was imported (from Hungary?). Since that you accident there was AD so you can´t fly aerobatic unless you have replaced wings (or at least wing hinges, not sure). So the only advantage of Z-142 above Z-42 is gone for most of exemplars.

You asked about performance. Well, don´t expect too much, the aircraft is not the greatest art of aerodynamics as you probably noticed – thick airfoil being the driver. Expect 190-200 km/hrs cruise at 40-45 liters/hours, do the kts/gh math yourself. Speedwise it´s a peanut above 172 if at all while burning significantly more avgas and having only 2 people on board and having constant speed prop. Don´t expect any magic from leaning, the engine is not to be leaned during cruise, you do not touch mixture at all – even shutting down is done by magnetos. MOGAS might be an option but I think the modification needs to be made by Moravan company, not sure.
On the other hand, you don´t feel like a yoyo (this expression is borrowed from some flaming discussion about basic trainers, 152 against Piper Tomahawk years ago), the aircraft have really nice handling and you have a feeling you are flying, not just being transported as in 172. Flying it is not that simple, it´s on the demanding side (prop and compressor control, base leg speed of 86 kts, final approach speed of 75 kts) but definitely worth it.

Speaking of maintenance – if you manage to get around the time limit on prop and engine and airframe, you are fine, otherwise your bill will kill you and make the aircraft more expensive than 172. Even flying club when many Moravan employees were flying removed Z-142 from service once they reached the TBOs (and replaced with 172)
Make sure you have someone who can maintain this engine (inverted 6 cylinder in line) with fuel injection, this is not Lycoming/Continental. Not sure how noise sensitive is your airport but consider silencer, Z-142 is not a Rotax powered microlight.
The reason why many of Z-142 are still in operation in the Czech Republic is simply. Most of them were owned by central flying club and just recently were “sold” into individual flying clubs. So many clubs are still operating them – until they reach TBO.
Long story short – if you get the aircraft for nice price and just fill with AVGAS, you´ll have a solid build aircraft but not the super cheap flying.¨

142 is not in production any more, currently they are offering Z-242 (similar airframe with Lycoming engine) and Z-143 – 4-seater.

If you want to fly a really nice and rate Zlin – try Z-726K- – the same engine,the same prop but tandem and fighter like.

Last Edited by Michal at 15 Nov 12:27
LKKU, LKTB

LeSving wrote:

Yes, but what do you do if you take it for a longer trip outside that part of the world, and it gets a engine snag that has to be fixed?

Well, that depends. Generally, it can be PITA with certified machines (even EU is a relatively small part of the world). I’m not that familiar with the new ELA1 maintenance regulations, but unless you can release it to service, your hands are tied (you would get your mechanic/ inspector down there to take a look).

JnsV wrote:

Anyhow, the octane rating of any commercially available automotive fuel should not be an issue then.

Shouldn’t. Everything should be at least 85 MON and you couldn’t buy 85 RON even if you wanted to (on EU level, 95 is minimum and 91 can be approved on national level, IIRC). But it raised a red flag for me. However, one should be careful about buying fuel at automotive service stations. As the document said, you are responsible for the quality.

Martin wrote:

No, you’re wrong. Notice the BA 91N, 95N and 98A – those are RON numbers, because those are the fuels used in cars. Also note the note on top of page two. MON means motor octane number (RON is research ON), so the “motor measurement method” means (IMO) it’s 85 MON. And that makes sense as 85 MON is the minimum MON for automotive gasoline (as specified in EN 228) IIRC.

Indeed. I originally understood the “motor measurement method” part to mean the measurement method that is used to indicate the fuel grade on fuel pumps (i.e. RON) and thought that the 85 number is excessively low, but since it is MON, 85 as a lower limit makes sense. Anyhow, the octane rating of any commercially available automotive fuel should not be an issue then.

Martin wrote:

As far as ethanol goes… as I understand it, the “aviation grade” mogas has none. The norm for automotive fuels today allows it and it can always change (they can increase the ethanol content) so I would want this clarified, I would want a concrete number. The document is too old, back then ethanol wasn’t a concern I think.

Yes, I will have this clarified with the manufacturer and report here if I have an answer.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Martin wrote:

And it’s not that rare in that part of the world, many aeroclubs have them and use them for training.

Yes, but what do you do if you take it for a longer trip outside that part of the world, and it gets a engine snag that has to be fixed?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message