Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A nice day out Saturday (EDDM - CYYR)

JasonC wrote:

Exactly – it is technically possible but if your forecast is wrong, the tailwind goes away and you are between Greenland and Canada, you have a big problem.

No worse than if a headwind is stronger than forecast.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

No worse than if a headwind is stronger than forecast.

Or course but this why you dont fly tight fuel legs over the water.

EGTK Oxford

Also prudent planning ignores tailwind but doesn’t ignore headwind, so the safety angle is slanted towards the headwind scenario.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also prudent planning ignores tailwind but doesn’t ignore headwind, so the safety angle is slanted towards the headwind scenario.

Well, we were discussing whether I could make Iceland without a tailwind from Goose.

When you say prudent planning it depends. If flying around Europe or the US and looking to make a max range flight you can include the tailwind so long as you have options to divert if things change. For example KBTV to KMCO Sunday was the second longest leg I have done in the plane (1073nm flown – longest was 1183). It was very dependent on the wind forecast but in the US you have an airport every 5nm so if the wind changed you have options.

Canada to Iceland you could divert into BGBW but weather a big risk there. Your worse case is being between Iceland and Greenland and losing the tailwind.

With a 100kt tailwind it is doable. But in practice you are likely to not get the altitude you need so it wouldn’t work.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Sep 07:32
EGTK Oxford

@JasonC, Didn’t you cross the Atlantic in a PA46 before upgrading? Would be interesting to hear the practical difference comparing your flights now and then. Range, speed, route, safety, equipment etc.

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 28 Sep 09:22
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

+1

Wasn’t it both piston and turbine PA46 variants ?

JasonC wrote:

Canada to Iceland you could divert into BGBW but weather a big risk there. Your worse case is being between Iceland and Greenland and losing the tailwind.

As Narsarsuaq is a “day only” airfield with frequently poor weather and high minima on the IAP the window of opportunity is quite small

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Do you have HF? Is the Mustang Cat 1 only?

I was just reading Mark Alberys report. He did the reverse trip in his VANS RV8.

Always good fun to see Andy Bruce at Wick.

Here is the link to his trip report with photos.

Hampshire

Neil wrote:

As Narsarsuaq is a “day only” airfield with frequently poor weather and high minima on the IAP the window of opportunity is quite small

Yep. I wouldn’t recommend it.

EGTK Oxford

You can go into BGBW at any time – but if out of hours you’ll pay an additional $1000 opening fee.

Easy alternative to the IAP is to simply let down over the sea and then enter up the fjord low level. Arguably safer as well!

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message