Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A specific ADS-B IN Q on GTX345 in a TAS605 / GTX330 / KMD550 / 2xSN3500 system

One alternative today for your case @Peter would be fixed installation of an ADL/PowerFlarm/ADLRS232 combo. That gives you Wx & combined Flarm/ADS-B In tfc over wifi, and on a panel unit if compatible, via GDL90 protocol. Only needs a logbook signoff. Installation time likely the biggest expense item.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thank you, but I do not want display of traffic on a tablet.

Lots of reasons, starting with Ipad shutdowns in sunlight. I have 2 x SN3500 EHSI and that is the primary TCAS 1 display, plus the KMD550 which will one day be replaced by 2x IFD540 (also removing the KLN94). The IFD boxes may do this but the EHSIs are in the primary field of view.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

EHSIs are in the primary field of view.

At least for ADS-B Traffic a SN3500 software upgrade will solve that hopefully, (it has been available for the 4500) next year what I understood, however not sure how the filtering of this SIL 0-3 will be handled software wise. ADL outputs GDL90 Garmin has its own model. SInce both FIS-B and ADS-B are on the same pins I am not sure if it would be better to use the Garmin or GDL model…hence two different system inputs ADL with ADS-B and FIS-B over GDL90 or the same over Garmin protocol
Looking at the install manual for the 4500 the following TCAS processing protocols are supported:

Last Edited by Vref at 20 Dec 13:13
EBST

The SN3500 gets traffic via ARIN429, from the TAS605. Avidyne are offering the TAS605A and they “guarantee” the data stream out of that is exactly the same (whether it contains just Mode C/S or ADS-B IN data) but I choose to not take that at face value, so I am waiting for an exchange TAS605A, otherwise I could be screwed and nobody will help me. I might have to purchase a TAS605A and then sell the TAS605 on Ebay…

The key point is that the TAS605A is supposed to merge TCAS1 and ADS-B IN data into the single ARINC429 traffic stream and do it totally transparently so any “ADS-B” related config on the SN3500 should be totally irrelevant, and if such a config is needed then some basic point has been missed. If such a config is made, that suggests somebody is setting up an ADS-B only system, with no TCAS1. That is not what I am doing.

Even if the SN3500 accepts GDL90 or whatever, that then leaves me with the TCAS1 functionality (which is still the most universal, due to the wide use of transponders) not working.

And I still have the KMD550 not displaying anything other than ex-Avidyne ARINC429.

It is very easy in this game to talk about acronyms and labels and whatever but in the end if you install something and it doesn’t “quite work” you are screwed. I am super sceptical

I think for me for ADS-B IN a TAS605A (“A”) would be a great solution which will work with everything I have, and everything I might have (2×IFD540).

And for ADS-B OUT I could put in the GTX345. That is a standalone function, installable “surgically”.

I still won’t see uncertified emitters, mostly SIL=0. Back to that old topic A DIY data merging box.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Even if the SN3500 accepts GDL90 or whatever, that then leaves me with the TCAS1 functionality (which is still the most universal, due to the wide use of transponders) not working.

Ok I see, yeah in my case I wont go for the certified TAS solution over ARINC 429 at this moment. At least I will be making my bearing distance clearer to all around with the GNX.

EBST
95 Posts
Sign in to add your message