Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

OK so this is a bit like the DA42 situation where they want 5 figures for the WAAS upgrade, and by implication ADS-B OUT will cost that, plus the ADS-B OUT portion.

OTOH, surely, you could just install a GTX335 in the said plane and circumvent the need to update the rest of it, no? Maybe one cannot have two transponders both active…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you use a CAMO you are more or less forced to do this, as it is the CAMO who writes the work orders — not you.

You’ve been proven wrong on this more than once, now.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I’ll call such horrendous amounts of money for a comparatively simple upgrade by it’s name: extortion.

With the mandate they know they can ask what they want because otherwise airplanes become unairworthy.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

OTOH, surely, you could just install a GTX335 in the said plane and circumvent the need to update the rest of it, no?

Especially in the steam gauge jets? I’d have to imagine it’s still going to be more expensive than doing it in an SEP but still nowhere near a six figure job.

Andreas IOM

That’s why, the old steam gauge jets will probably be a lot cheaper and have more options for upgrade, than the integrated ones going forward.

In general planes with aftermarket avionics are often a much better deal than ageing fully integratrd solutions. When I was looking for a PA46 I did not even look at the Avidyne planes for that reason.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

mh wrote:

You’ve been proven wrong on this more than once, now.

Eh? How have I been proven wrong?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

OTOH, surely, you could just install a GTX335 in the said plane and circumvent the need to update the rest of it, no? Maybe one cannot have two transponders both active…

Nope. Two collins diversity transponders installed. You can’t stick a GTX in.

EGTK Oxford

bq. OTOH, surely, you could just install a GTX335 in the said plane and circumvent the need to update the rest of it, no? Maybe one cannot have two transponders both active…

Nope. Two collins diversity transponders installed. You can’t stick a GTX in.

I once spoke to an engineer doing ADS-B STCs and he told me if the plane has to supply the ADS-B enhanced features things get difficult. The transponder has to communicate with the autopilot, airdata computer etc.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

That is the same as Mode S Enhanced Surveillance versus Elementary Surveillance.

Lots of avionics connections for things like autopilot preset altitude.

However, few piston twins will require ADS-B OUT. It is being proposed only for > 250kt or > 5700kg. So yes it catches all the jets…

What’s happened to Enhanced Mode S? Is that being replaced by ADS-B OUT?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just for information on a Citation Mustang the ADS-B upgrade is north of 15k…
We are doing our right know

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
Sign in to add your message