Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

AdamFrisch wrote:

As a side, with mandatory ADSB looming 2020 here in the US, and a potential recession as well, you’ll see a lot of bargains in the next 5 years, is my prediction. Very few owners are going to spend $20-100K on ADSB and panel upgrades to accommodate that for older aircraft.

A friend and I were talking about that last night, and it’s true in terms of affecting the aircraft market, but I think at a much lower cost level. The cost to comply with the ADS-B Out mandate is about $3 – 4K (depending on the hardware used, some are a bit lower) and I think the aircraft that may get left behind are those with market values under $25K. Some of those will be moved out of the applicable airspace and won’t come back.

My solution for ADS-B OUT is a GTX-335 transponder and for IN a Stratus receiver to feed data to Foreflight and iPad Mini. Combined cost is under $5K including field installation, or $4500 with the FAA rebate. I’m now waiting for my installer for the GTX to get freed up. I’m next in line, but not in a any great hurry as long as it happens by the end of the year.

Light twin owners can and will do the same as I’m doing.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Apr 13:03

Hello, I fly twins since 1997. I had PA39 turbo, GA-7, Aerostar (fast in speed and spending money), now a PA39 turbo again. The cheapest aircraft was by far the GA-7. Less fuel, less maintenance than every other Twin. My actually Twinco has all speed kits you can buy. It runs about 210kn in FL200. But maintenance is another thing. (but cheaper than Aerostar). Every 5 years new hoses, even when you install Teflon ones. Fuel flow by 75% 21 gals both. But you can coffee fly with lop with 16 gals and 150 kn tas. It is the best comprise for me. OEI means arround 14000ft max alt. If you have further questions, fell free to ask….

EDFC, Germany

I also fly a PA39. Wolff’s figures look about right to me.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

All right, so 14 pages later who’s buying a twin? Maybe we should all pool up a few k, get one of these planes and make it a transparency exercice :)

I think Timothy already offered a transparency exercise :)

EGCJ, United Kingdom

My MEP skill control is tomorrow and after all, a DA42 is not too bad (yesterday I flied 1h50 13USG), but it is expensive and quite narrow inside… I mean how can they imagine to make a market with such price… You can’t get a 4p familly with luggage in with a 400K€+ used plane.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 11 Apr 07:54
LFMD, France

Most da42s were bought by ATPL schools. They make lots of money on them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do agree as I am currently in modular IRME/CPL… as well as DA40 btw.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 11 Apr 08:04
LFMD, France

I looked into doing an IPC with a famous school in the south of France on one of their DA-42s. When I got the quote I thought that they were trying to sell me the plane :-)

Peter wrote:

Most da42s were bought by ATPL schools. They make lots of money on them.

No they don’t. Going back about 4 years, I used to put out DA42s at £415 including instructor. We would make about £17/hr. Of course, if you’ve got to a point where capital costs are no longer an issue…………

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message