Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Carcassonne LFMK And On To?

C210_Flyer wrote:

Mine was a broken collarbone

Since we are comparing tabs, mine was two broken vertebras requiring three months with a rigid three-point corset and re-education. I have skiied since, but I do not enjoy as much as I used to.

I spent one week in hospital (in Switzerland), and when the weather was good there was a steady stream of helicopters bringing in patients from the slopes. The orthopaedic ward was quite busy

Last Edited by Aviathor at 06 Apr 08:23
LFPT, LFPN

I too had a skiing accident but didnt want to reveal it to Peter since he has been so fired up about skiing

Don’t worry – half the people I know who ski have broken a leg or something… At even a tiny ski resort there is a breakage every day. At Filsmoos there was a pool of blood in the snow near the top, so probably a compound fracture (a teenage boy). At Grand Bornand some guy did a “trick” just as I skied past him (he jumped up to flip around 180 and ski backwards) and fell over and didn’t get up… that was on an almost flat slope. Minutes later the tracked vehicle with a stretcher was there. I am very aware of the risks which is why I stick to easy stuff (even if some take the p1ss ). I don’t enjoy scary stuff anyway.

Plus, skiing is a good excuse for flying

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ouch Sorry to hear about the misadventure.

I too had a skiing accident but didnt want to reveal it to Peter since he has been so fired up about skiing. Mine was a broken collarbone because I did not heed my own advice. Never to ski on weekends. After 25 yrs of skiing without mishap developing into an advanced intermediate able to handle most easy diamonds blacks expert slopes I take a ski group lesson only to be run into by a women who flys over a rise to land in front of me going in the opposite direction. We must have hit at a combined 70 Km. Broken clavicle pins and operations plus no wt and limited RAnge of motion. But I can still fly the plane.

With all that said your wife’s leg looks like it would hurt a lot worse. The good news if any would be that the wine tours are pretty sedentary.

Looking forward to meeting you both.

KHTO, LHTL

Thanks Peter.

Almeria LEAM booked, by the way. €139 for landing, parking for six days, ATC and tax. No handling unless to or from non-EU country.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

That’s horrible. I hope Karen recovers well!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So, Karen, my wife, broke her leg badly skiing in February and we were hoping she’d be walking again soon. However, last week she was told no weight on the leg for at least another six weeks.

With that in mind, our big trip is probably a little ambitious for May, so we’re now looking for a hotel in a warm country with a bar and a swimming pool and an airfield close by. We’ll probably extend our time in Carcassonne to five nights before flying on.

Can anybody recommend a resort-type place that might be suitable? Almeria LEAM looks good. Something nearby?

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Romain wrote:

Sénégal is Nice,

But Nice is not Sénégal…

LFPT, LFPN

That’s great news. It’s more and more difficult to get the flight permit for Mauritania and Senegal… Last time we had to delay our departure…
Next time i’ll go I will use a company to manage that part…

Otherwise, I really love to fly in morocco and Senegal.

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

I have a friend in Mauritania that can arrange the overflight more or less for free with good connections into the government and aviation authorities (for some bottles with alcohol in it in exchange) and can even get you the AVGAS into the City of Atar. Senegal is nice, Mali as well (well … most areas).

EDLE, Netherlands

Avoid Mauritania now, I flew from Morroco to Senegal in december.
It’s a pain in the ass now to get the overflight permit. A friend of mine did Nouakchott a few month ago and get ripe off in landing fee, avgas…
Sénégal is Nice, depending on your range, stop in Dakhla and fly to Saint Louis or Dakar

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message