Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB IR and EIR published today

I see what you mean. The ICAO IR conversion was a bit of an afterthought, I think.

I don’t see any pilot who actually flies IFR having the slightest problem with the oral exam on the CB IR conversion.

There is a significant possibility that he/she may know more about practical flying than the examiner. One industry examiner I have met (not one I have ever flown with) is an ex 737 pilot and as far as I could tell he has never done any GA flying, beyond the standard FTO IR routes. I have no idea what sort of questions he might ask on the oral. Perhaps how to read tafs/metars, what to do if you get severe icing, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A reasonable summary from IAOPA is here

One curious aspect is

As part of the new regulation every European member state now has the option to postpone the deadline of the new rules that requires residents in the EU holding a third country license to convert to an EASA license. They can now continue flying within the EU until April 8, 2015 if the individual member state so decides after April 3 but before April 8 this year.

Given that many national CAAs don’t understand the EASA regs, and IIRC many didn’t even bother to apply for the last derogation (probably because they didn’t or couldn’t read the regs) one is likely to have a situation where pilots whose “operator” is based in certain EU countries are not legal from April 2014…

Administrator

All,

Some good news from the Belgian CAA!

I called them, referred to the new European law, and they just asked me which examiner I would prefer for the bespoke skill test. This FAA IR conversion to EASA IR along article 8 of the CB IR route might be as simple as it appears.

Once I have an assigned examiner, I will ask him on the theory part of the skill test. In the meanwhile, I will study relevant EASA ATPL portions.

I will keep you update on my progress. Wish me luck.

Niner Mike.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Further to my previous message: Belgium CAA has assigned a freelance IRE to my FAA IR → EASA IR conversion.

Abeam the Flying Dream

Niner Mike, have you done any test preparation, or are you relying on your real life experience? I only say that because I feel I would not pass the highly prescriptive IR LST myself without further polishing with an instructor.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Hello Neil,

Yes, I will do 5-10 hrs EASA polishing with a IRI as a preparation to the skill test.

Having said that though, I spoke with the examiner and his requirements for the theory portion are very practical and relate to real-life experience of IFR flying in Europe. A skill we, mere FAA IR-lings, ought to possess. So I am optimistic…

Niner Mike

Abeam the Flying Dream

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but demonstrating the 50hrs PIC under IFR is what I now face in order to be able to convert my newly acquired FAA IR….. As a minimum I have added up all PIC time where I was flying in actual instrument conditions for part of the flight….meaning it was IFR by definition….currently that makes a bit more than half the required 50 hrs….so I have between now and 8 April 2015 to log a further 25hrs as PIC under the IFR….which I certainly will…..given that those first 25hrs were not flown on a Eurocontrol flight plan, does anybody see a problem with that strategy?

Anthony

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

does anybody see a problem with that strategy?

This has been discussed all over the place and my personally summary would be NO

IFR time is IFR time, we all know what that means (time flown in accordance with instrument flight rules) and if I logged IFR time genuinely (and in the UK “I” am entitled to be believed unless proven otherwise) then I would resolve any issues that come up by taking a solicitor with me to Gatwick. If you have an ambiguous law (and quite a lot of of EASA law maps poorly onto existing aviation practice) then any ambiguity is resolved in favour of the pilot (in the UK, and I would hope in any other functioning justice system).

It has been suggested that the reason “IFR time” is in there is because the key people were Germans and in their airspace there is no difference (or some variation thereof). Of course to any UK pilot this is just bonkers, and a great gift.

BUT, there is always a BUT, you need to make sure that whoever is going to be signing the form after you pass the IRT, is going to agree. In the US system – I have done three US checkrides, 2 in the UK and 1 in the USA – you always sit down with the DPE and go through the logbook(s) and agree the required entries, one by one, before you go and fly. Can you pass this by a prospective examiner? If he accepts it then you are 90% there and the remaining issue is that the CAA won’t issue the Rating, but that’s unlikely because they won’t be checking your logbook (and if they refused it would definitely be a case of taking a solicitor along).

Last Edited by Peter at 08 Apr 08:54
Administrator

An approved competency-based modular IR course shall comprise at least 80 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction. The theoretical knowledge course may contain computer-based training and e- learning elements. A minimum amount of classroom teaching as required by ORA.ATO.305 has to be provided.

Are we aware if AFE or similar planning a book?

What is the minimum classroom as per the EASA document reference?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message