Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Convenient airport for München?

Depending on practical matters, another reason to prefer Oberschleißheim is the very nice aviation museum – and those less interested in aviation could be tempted by the nearby palace

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Would Ingolstadt be quicker for Munich than Augsberg?

It depends on where in Munich you need to go. Augsburg is better for the western and southern part, Ingolstadt is more convenient for the north and east. A friend of our family who lives in Munich and worked on the development of the Tornado (in the 1970ies and 80ies) which took place in Ingolstadt always boasted that he could be there in less than 30 minutes with the Porsche that he then owned… I drove a few times with him and believe it, because I’m still scared 30 years later

EDDS - Stuttgart

Just forget Munich it is a sad place for GA.
You can fly to EDDM IFR only, even with <2t, but the landing fee and all other cost are enormous.
Last time I asked it was around 2k and that was 1999. The price list at that time had the same price 10t and below.

I’ve been to EDMA and it is nice if someone picks you up. I’d rather fly to Nuremberg than Ingolstadt.
25 mins to the main station in NUE and 1 hr by ICE train to Munich central station.
( That’s close to where I work there)

@Jason:
€120 for a cab ride to Munich central station is very cheap. Last time I paid around €225.

United Kingdom

You can fly to EDDM IFR only, even with <2t, but the landing fee and all other cost are enormous.
Last time I asked it was around 2k and that was 1999.

That cannot be. We fly to Munich quite a lot (with aircraft between 5 and 10 tons) and pay a lot less than that, even with handling. Here is the price list (probably German language only): http://www.munich-airport.de/media/download/bereiche/aviation/entgelt2014.pdf

I’d rather fly to Nuremberg than Ingolstadt.

When we can’t get a slot for EDDM or the weather is below CAT I, our customers always ask to be taken to Ingolstadt and not Nürnberg. But they get picked up there and don’t need to take the train.

EDDS - Stuttgart

The Erdinger Moos airport (colloquially called Munich) is PPR for <2t, according to the AIP: “1.1 Aircraft of up to and including 2000 kg maximum take-off mass and aircraft flying according to VFR are permitted to use München Airport only after prior permission by the Flughafen München GmbH (FMG).”. No idea how easy it is to get the permission. There are a few exemptions to that PPR requirement, for example for meteorological reasons; so you could plan Oberschleissheim and divert to Erdinger Moos if the weather is too bad

But really, from Erdinger Moos to munich easily takes 45 mins by train, that kinda puts the travel time from Augsburg into perspective.

Or you could fly to “Munich West” (RYR speak for Memmingen, EDJA). Easy airport, very reasonably priced, IFR, and there are busses to Munich.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 25 Sep 15:51
LSZK, Switzerland

I have my fair share of flying into big international airports, and there is something else to consider. Namely, that at places like EDDM (never been to that one, though), typically the ground time will eat up most time savings you may have made by getting closer to the center of wherever you are going. On arrival it’s taxi time, handling, etc, on departure getting through security, handling and again taxi. I’ve had plenty of experiences where chocks-off to take-off were 40 minutes ;-(
So – a smaller airport where the ground ops are easy can actually save you time, even if a bit farther away.

As an aside: why is Munich such a GA Black Hole? It is after all one of Germany’s most important cities (some would say THE most important, especially during a certain festivity taking place right now!).

As an aside: why is Munich such a GA Black Hole? It is after all one of Germany’s most important cities

A very long and complicated story involving local politics. An airport was closed which had mixed operations, a new one built without GA but with the promise of building/dedicating another one for GA. Then no consensus on the GA airport was reached until eventually there was none.

Berlin is almost as bad as Munich, the only IFR accessible airport is EDDB which is very expensive.

GA is just plain irrelevant for larger cities so they don’t care at all. The buz jet segment is usually handled but everything below has little value. They’re not wrong of course, Munich would still be the same with a central GA airport so it’s at the bottom of priority list.

I miss Fursty…

EBST, Belgium

Munich is often referred to as a “Dorf” in Germany. And it is, in comparison with metropolis’ like Hamburg and Berlin. They consider themselves far more important than they are.

And they are wealthy, mostly. And wealthy city people tend to be “green” in their attitudes. These hate noise from small airplanes (or any other noise in front of their garden). The politics react to that and keep GA well away from their districts.

Also, land is very expensive anywhere in and anywhere near Munich. Most of you won’t know, but they used to have a very nice GA airfield (“Neubiberg”) just south of the city, until 1999. it was sold to speculators and the airfield was closed.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Sep 17:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What about Eggenfelden if headed to the east of Munich? Has anyone been there with a bizjet or TP?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma
Sign in to add your message