Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Convenient airport for München?

115km from Munich! How deep have we fallen in GA..

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Sep 18:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A friend or mine lives in Ottobrunn and did his first flying from Neubiberg, in the Bölkows that were based at the club there. He now keeps his plane at Jesenwang. As he says, if you can fly out of Jesenwang with its driveway length runway, you can fly out of anywhere. He does a good job of it! The people at Jesenwang are very nice but even ignoring the very short runway length the transport to Munich is poor – somebody would have to pick you up by car if you flew in.

It’s a really odd situation there, having the massive expanses of Fûrstenfeldbruck Airport so close, abandoned except for some Mickey Mouse BMW training facility. I can only surmise that local residents in the ‘post Franz Josef Strauss era’ prefer to accept an ever narrowing range of personal opportunities in areas such as GA to get a predictable but boring life. I guess they can travel by airline to break out when it becomes too oppressive. Or in my case (when I’m there) by motorcycle to Italy.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Sep 19:46

What about Eggenfelden if headed to the east of Munich? Has anyone been there with a bizjet or TP?

Nice place. I have been there. Long way from Munich and Passau though.

EGTK Oxford

That cannot be. We fly to Munich quite a lot (with aircraft between 5 and 10 tons) and pay a lot less than that, even with handling.

It looks very cheap now. This was 1999 and still Deutschmark.

United Kingdom

Munich is often referred to as a “Dorf” in Germany.

Be careful what you say about my home town

And it is, in comparison with metropolis’ like Hamburg and Berlin.

For me, all that counts is the number of business flights a town (or country) attracts. On average, I fly to Munich twenty times per year and to Hamburg once every two years. Our clients are mostly executives from medium to large industries… Just to put the relative importance of Munich versus Hamburg into perspective.

Also, land is very expensive anywhere in and anywhere near Munich. Most of you won’t know, but they used to have a very nice GA airfield (“Neubiberg”) just south of the city, until 1999. it was sold to speculators and the airfield was closed.

I think this is the most important factor. Even at Neubiberg (which really is not one of the nice suburbs of Munich) every square metre of land costs in the region of 1,000 Euros. „Wasting“ such valuable property for nothing but an airfield used by a few dozen wealthy boys would make no economical sense at all. Neubiberg used to be a military airfield but access to civilian aircraft was always very restricted.

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Sep 20:20
EDDS - Stuttgart

Anybody know what’s planned term for Fürstenfeldbruck and Erding? There’s plenty of land and plenty of runways in the area. The empty farm fields owned by friends of mine would be great to fly from, and are within walking distance of the S-Bahn.

Nothing. Munich is a GA black hole and will remain one. Regardless that there are sufficient unused runways, nobody wishes to burn their hands in a hostile environment.

For VFR GA, it would be sufficient to open up Oberschleissheim for realistic figures (and add customs on request like it exists in Leutkirch, Memmingen e.t.c.), for IFR GA (or as a combined GA field for Munich) Oberpfaffenhofen would be great, but that one is even worse restricted than Oberschleissheim is. And wherever someone pipes up and suggests something, one dozen citizen movements will immediately rise up and shout louder than any airplane noise.

Fürstenfeldbruck was a classical example of that. There was a hatred towards that airfield by some local politicians which bordered at the fanatical. For some people it went beyond that, there actually was an attempt to set fire to airplanes in the hangar. In order to close that field, the powers that were went as far as to involve BMW and BEG them to open a test circuit there, just to get someone to use the field for something else than aviation. Fanatism is not something unknown with the Anti GA crowd but it is quite remarkable in that city.

Personally, I have taken my consequences and go elsewhere to spend my money in my leasure. Not that anyone notices but it’s just my own sense of justice that where I am not wanted I will not go.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I live here too

VFR: if you get a slot go to Oberschleißheim (if I am at home I can pick you up)
IFR: Only EDMA

Oberpfaffenhofen is not “restricted” but simply not possible at all.

Alternative for VFR is my home airport, EDML, Landshut. 65 km outside Munich, and you have to call a taxi to get you to the train.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 26 Sep 09:51

What actually is the story in Oberpfaffenhofen? It is listed as PPR but as you say, it should probably better be called closed for all practical purposes? I understood once that it is only for the use of one company which has maintenance there? So do they own it and it is private property who denies anyone else access? Or why can’t it be used by anyone?

What is it about Munich anyway. Last time I was there, by car as no slot availabe at Oberschleissheim where I visited a conference, we were not allowed to drive to the center because you need a special green permit paper to get in there? (Actually, when I turned up by car on a bright sunny day, quite a few of the attendees of that event asked me why I did not fly over. When I told them that the airport they could see outside their window and where not a single plane operated the whole beautiful spring day, a lot of head shaking and scratching went on.)

Well, thankfully there are other cities which are friendlier to their visitors so Munich won’t sell any hotel nights to me in a hurry. It’s simply a pity that a beautiful city like that has to act in such an unfriendly way towards its visitors, if they are not the usual beer-tent crowd but actually wish to travel in their own airplane or car.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I found my wife about 50 meters from the S-Bahn into München, so there are the occasional benefits. When I told her about my flying she said that as a girl she used to dream about riding in the Starfighters flying over their house, and regularly visited Oberschleissheim to watch the flying (and it was true!)

I can’t imagine what people would have against little airplanes, to me when either flying or watching they are nothing but a tangible expression of the joy of being alive.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Sep 15:21
Sign in to add your message