Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

Gigicret wrote:

With new images, I realize that my first location was totally wrong, here is the area of the accident

Now I see the picture clearer. Hitting cables now become even more evident. I just flew the route departing in LSGS over the Simplon in X-Plane in a P28A and making the right turn at Visp at some 6000 ft made me sweat even on the SIM.
For me this accident is so strange. In clear weather, no turbulence, no downdrafts, no other traffic just VFR at its best and this happens but apparently the altitude was lower what any serious planning would call for. I found nothing about power lines or cables being interrupted in the Simplon area so just another speculation so far.

LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

Neal wrote:

I found nothing about power lines or cables being interrupted in the Simplon area so just another speculation so far.

If they had hit power lines then that would have been blatantly obvious from the outset and the Swiss media would have reported it. Frankly, I think we can discount it. As for a witness seeing ‘flames’, this is a regular ‘observation’ by witnesses to air crashes. No idea why, I guess our brain simply plays tricks on us when we witness something horrific.

Gigicret wrote:

Another image where we see the pylon. It’s not impossible but it’s very low …

But climbing from the FR24 altitude of 6100 ft 2 nm southeast of Naters where the “slalom” starts towards the pass and given the low flying and slow climbing they had before I guess they didn’t have in mind to clear the Simplon at more than some minus 7k ft.

LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

The gafor routes on SD can be displayed during navigation:

Press the SD button top left, in the pull downmenu select WEATHER and in the sub menu then select GAFOR.

Voila.

EDM_, Germany

172driver wrote:

If they had hit power lines then that would have been blatantly obvious from the outset and the Swiss media would have reported it. Frankly, I think we can discount it. As for a witness seeing ‘flames’, this is a regular ‘observation’ by witnesses to air crashes. No idea why, I guess our brain simply plays tricks on us when we witness something horrific.

Affirm. And the Blick newspaper is known to be very sloppy about their sources and tend to publish more fake than real news ;-)
The only thing that is strange to me is the eyewitness said he saw fireballs and only one minute later the bang (impact?). So what can make a PA28 delivering fireballs in flight as we have no flares nor chaff

Last Edited by Neal at 28 Aug 19:45
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

ch.ess 28-Aug-19 19:35 174
The gafor routes on SD can be displayed during navigation:Press the SD button top left, in the pull downmenu select WEATHER and in the sub menu then select GAFOR.

Voila.

Perfect……Did not know that.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 28 Aug 19:43
United Kingdom

“The only thing that is strange to me is the eyewitness said he saw fireballs and only one minute later the bang (impact?)”

That is what they expect to see when they hear a SEP engine flying on high engine revs before impact?

Power lines are not the probable culprits, while I find it hard to admit, pilots simply fly inadvertently into terrain (or CAS/Clouds), it only takes some poor planning before flight or distraction during the flight, this applies to both clear sky and imc…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Aug 19:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Neal wrote:

Affirm. And the Blick newspaper is known to be very sloppy about their sources and tend to publish more fake than real news ;-)
The only thing that is strange to me is the eyewitness said he saw fireballs and only one minute later the bang (impact?). So what can make a PA28 delivering fireballs in flight as we have no flares nor chaff

I would rather say the impact and 1 minute later the flames.
1 minute before the impact, it is unlikely that the aircraft is in sight of the witness !

1 minute at 100kts it’s been 3km…..

LSGS, Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

Power lines are not the probable culprits, while I find it hard to admit, pilots simply fly inadvertently into terrain (or CAS/Clouds), it only takes some poor planning before flight or distraction during the flight, this applies to both clear sky and imc…

That is why this accident gets my intense attention and emotions. It was best VFR weather and the pilot was plane owner as me who hopefully knew (but I assume – otherwise you don’t buy a plane) how to operate it properly. I have flown in that region several times but have always been at 12k ft or higher for Alps crossings. I know the valleys from hiking and don’t want to be stuck there somewhere in hostile terrain if my O-360 should quit but know of the beauty of flying low and on the right side of the valley and keeping clear of opposite traffic on the other side and still having an escape option in turning 180°.

LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland

Gigicret wrote:

1 minute before the impact, it is unlikely that the aircraft is in sight of the witness !

But you can hear it.

LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message