Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

Peter wrote:

This was one of his trip writeups.

I remember this recent writeup with beautiful baby sleeping in the back seat. How tragic :’(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Gigicret wrote:

This photo was taken by a friend pilot at the Sanetsch Pass on 28.07.20

Holy cow! What are these people thinking ??

Gigicret wrote:

He turned around, passing 50 meters from the ground (160ft)
Then he was able to climb again and pass the pass.

As long as he can turn around and climb, what exactly is the problem ? (seriously) When towing gliders that happens from time to time. Sometimes they want to be at a specific place in the mountains. Due to downdraft, what seems to 100% possible, suddenly isn’t, and you have to turn around and climb some more to get passed.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

(seriously) When towing gliders that happens from time to time

I think gliders are exempt from 500ft when flying ridges/mountains but I don’t see many SEPs soaring upwind of ridges or downwind of lee waves? even tugs like to fly you away test their climb (especially if they pull a heavy duo seats full of water on a shinny thermic day) and then come back to drop you on the peak

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 18:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Folks,

in another place someone popped up a theory which might make sense given how we “knew” the pilot here in the forum, which would label him as rather of the careful type:

Remember the Sala Accident and also the rather well publicised fatal accident of the owner of Dallach airplanes? Both were caused by CO poisoning.

As the airplane was recently used mostly in low level and warm weather, there was no need to ever use the heater. Maybe someone got chilly in 6000 ft and they put it on without realizing it was emitting CO?

Wide stretch of imagination but not totally impossible. It would explain why a careful guy who asks the right questions before a trip like this and his PPL wife both miss the very obvious fact that they are too low and are impaired sufficiently in their judgement not to react adequately to the situatioon.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Which also tallies with my observations that he is maybe not at the top of his game when talking to Sion.

EGKB Biggin Hill

When we passed through the previous day, even with an overcast we had full cabin ventilation on.
I think it was around 20 degrees at 6000ft
Obviously I have no idea what the temperature was the next day but the weather seemed much better.

United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

As long as he can turn around and climb, what exactly is the problem ? (seriously) When towing gliders that happens from time to time. Sometimes they want to be at a specific place in the mountains. Due to downdraft, what seems to 100% possible, suddenly isn’t, and you have to turn around and climb some more to get passed.

seriously ??

An instructor with a student who goes to 50m sol is not a problem ??
Already it’s illegal …

He is an instructor who knows the area perfectly, obviously it is too low far too low
A few more seconds and it was over!
A gust of wind goes down and it is the insured death!

The DA was very high! Only a few hour after a crash a few kilometers from there

A year before exactly the same place, they were less fortunate! They were able to turn around but the plane still off stoll

https://www.tdg.ch/suisse/victimes-crash-sanetsch-identifiees/story/20662064

LSGS, Switzerland

I think CO was also mentioned near the start, before we realised that the FR24 trace did not end at the crash site and we thought he had just gone straight and level into the mountain.

EGLM & EGTN

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As the airplane was recently used mostly in low level and warm weather, there was no need to ever use the heater. Maybe someone got chilly in 6000 ft and they put it on without realizing it was emitting CO?

I was myself at 7’100 feet (altiport “Croix de Coeur” above Verbier) that morning, it was not cold at all

LSGS, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message