Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Arrow G-BVDH down on the Simplon Pass in Switzerland

Graham wrote:

I think CO was also mentioned near the start, before we realised that the FR24 trace did not end at the crash site and we thought he had just gone straight and level into the mountain.

That is still my best explanation for such a thing. But as DA was high, temperature was high too, roughly 20°C, not so cold but still colder. With the baby they could just try to heat a bit.
LFMD, France

The only explanation I find not to fly high has to do with either planning error or family comfort, tough both gets mixed up during planning and flight, thinking he can descend/climb at some points, he was unlucky as there are no other routes there appart from turning back (not an easy option as it seems) and overestimated his aircraft performance

I have been in samilar situation, my wife got scared of height & cold and could not take FL160 that long and she asked me if we can decend to FL80 with our route having FL115 MSA, so I decided to backtrack and go for a big dog leg and that I flew at 9000ft well clear of terrain but complete RT silence, while I had planned fuel for that second route in case Oxygen bottle does not deliver still it took me a lot of time to make the call, I think the situation could have ended up badly if I continued with first route? or ATC were not flexible? or worse if I was in the middle of a valley?

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 22:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
If you consider it normal to make a turn at 160ft ground, at 7’000ft AMSL by 30 ° celsius.
A gust of wind in his turn and the plane is on the ground with very little chance of survival

Not normal for Holland or Lincolnshire, but good training to show a student not to wait too long before turning in an alpine valley.

If you can make a turn safely at 500 ft AGL, you can do it at 50 ft, or even in ground effect. The airplane doesn’t mind the ground being closer. Once in ground effect, there can be no vertical gust.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

With monitors, he’d get a CO warning. With a baby there’s no way he’d ignore it.
It’s being assumed the report by the hiker of two flames falling before the crash sound is inaccurate. But IF it was correct?
A high pressure fuel injection pipe bursting, or fuel vapour in a wing igniting, are very rare but not unheard-of incidents.
Pa28 wing spars have cracked – a heavy landing can stress them.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

A high pressure fuel injection pipe bursting, or fuel vapour in a wing igniting, are very rare but not unheard-of incidents.

Perhaps, but the big mystery isn’t that – it is why was way too low.

Anybody know if he was actually using SkyDemon?, or at least likely to be.
I crossed twice (+ return) at the lower less demanding Austrian Alps both for EuroGA Adriatic meets.
Had Garmin panel 430 AND large handheld 795, but majored on SD on iPad Mini.
The point is I had heard that an iPad could just shutdown if it overheats and mine did !!!
It was also an Arrow IV and I put it on the P2 floor by the air vent – think it recovered within a few minutes.
Was glad I had the more aviation grade Garmin’s to fall back on.
If he was majoring on a SD iPad (hopefully displaying the GAFOR routes) and it succumbed to heat could have been a problem.
Anybody else had an iPad ‘shutdown’ in flight ?

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

WarleyAir wrote:

Anybody else had an iPad ‘shutdown’ in flight

Anecdotal, of course, but I’ve flown some 30 hours with my new iPad mini 5, including during the heat wave this summer and at both 1000’ AGL and FL100. It hasn’t overheated once.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

WarleyAir wrote:

I’ve done about 300 hours or so with iPads and had one shutdown – and that was my own fault, putting it on the dash in full sunlight for 20 mins or thereabouts. Came back after a few minutes cooling off in the back. In any case, you don’t need an iPad to see the mountains in front of your windshield!

Jacko wrote:

Not normal for Holland or Lincolnshire, but good training to show a student not to wait too long before turning in an alpine valley.

If you can make a turn safely at 500 ft AGL, you can do it at 50 ft, or even in ground effect. The airplane doesn’t mind the ground being closer. Once in ground effect, there can be no vertical gust.

I fly to Sion LSGS …. Hard to do more mountainous …
this pass is located 6 nautical north of our runway

It’s not normal even here

My friend who was there ran to take shelter.
Another friend, glacier instructor and aerobatic instructor for 20 years says it’s completely sutpid and dangerous.

I let you come and fly in these passes … You will tell me if it is impossible to have winds down

LSGS, Switzerland

WarleyAir30-Aug-19 00:16 217
Anybody know if he was actually using SkyDemon?, or at least likely to be.
I crossed twice (+ return) at the lower less demanding Austrian Alps both for EuroGA Adriatic meets.
Had Garmin panel 430 AND large handheld 795, but majored on SD on iPad Mini.
The point is I had heard that an iPad could just shutdown if it overheats and mine did !!!
It was also an Arrow IV and I put it on the P2 floor by the air vent – think it recovered within a few minutes.
Was glad I had the more aviation grade Garmin’s to fall back on.
If he was majoring on a SD iPad (hopefully displaying the GAFOR routes) and it succumbed to heat could have been a problem.

Multiple occurances – in Arrow IV

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 30 Aug 05:52
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message