Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ESGP Säve - and having to cancel IFR at the DH

Seems a good and cheaper alternative to ESGG. Any locals with views? Need to go there next week for meetings.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Any locals with views?

Not a local … but Säve anytime if can choose. Much closer to the town center, very easy going, next to no traffic. Opening hours are limited while Landvetter is open 24h (which is the only reason for us to go there occasionally).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks @what_next

EGTK Oxford

Säve has been through a rough time lately, and still is. Over one night, there was a report that stated that the runway condition was not good enough to accept heavy traffic. This lead to Ryanair, Wizzair and other “heavy” operators moved to Landvetter and Säve was sold to a new owner. The future is very uncertain for Säve at the moment but it is still available for IFR-flights and your type of aircraft. There are still operators on the airport but the terminal is like a “ghost town”.

It is a nice airfield but the only sensible way to get from the airport is by taxi, and they will not be waiting outside unless you arrange it yourself. I still highly recommend it over Landvetter(ESGG).

Here is the info for visiting pilots from one of the aero clubs:
http://www.aeroklubben.se/c-info-to-visiting-pilots/ – The link to the AIP is working fine but some other info may be old, such as the transportation info.

Have a nice trip to Göteborg!

Last Edited by Fly310 at 05 Nov 09:50
ESSZ, Sweden

I was there last year and it was already a ghost town as described above. However, it is a very nice airport and very affordable. It’s quite difficult to find any ground crew after landing and so parking on the vast apron is a matter of guesswork. ATC, very helpful on approach, could not have been less interested about parking! I had to walk to the fire station to find anyone. Ground crew turned out to be very friendly once you broke the ice, but obviously don’t make a habit of greeting arrivals. They could not have nicer on my departure through the deserted terminal, where they had just auctioned off all the furniture.

As said already, Taxi is the only real option although I was told about a bus that stops nearby, outside the airport. Gotenburg taxis are some sort of racket and so you should only use the one recommended by the ground crew apparently. Otherwise, you might get ripped off. My taxi into town was only £40, so I was alright. Apparently.

Another gotcha is the fuel pump, which seems to have a credit card limit of £50. When you ask for more than that it just says ‘declined’. After trying 3 different cards, I made a rather panicky call to one of my banks, only to be assured everything was OK. So the penny dropped and I ended up filling one tank at a time.

I dont know what the fees are at Landvetter, but an airport bus might balance out vs. the taxi experience at Save.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

I dont know what the fees are at Landvetter, but an airport bus might balance out vs. the taxi experience at Save.

No way. For us (and I guess for Jason it is going to be the same order of magnitude) landing fees at Säve are something like 300 Euros whereas Landvetter in excess of 1000. You can buy your own taxi for the difference… Lucily our company (still) allows us to use taxis for transportation so I don’t really know about public transport. (And I guess it won’t make much sense to travel by Mustang and then waste time waiting for a bus).

Last Edited by what_next at 05 Nov 17:25
EDDS - Stuttgart

Maybe you could squeeze in a visit to Aeroseum?

The world-unique installation at Säve consists of an underground hangar hewn from rock, extending over 22,000 square metres. The above-ground area covers 70,000 square metres.

It’s on my list of things to see.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Aveling wrote:

Gotenburg taxis are some sort of racket and so you should only use the one recommended by the ground crew apparently. Otherwise, you might get ripped off. My taxi into town was only £40, so I was alright. Apparently.

The taxi business in Sweden is completely deregulated. A driver can form his own company and charge whatever (s)he wants. The only protection is that they have to post the fares in the car window, visible both from the inside and outside so you can check before entering. You can expect ripoff attempts at every major airport and railway station. Only use major established taxi companies, but beware that the one man shows frequently use company names or logos which are similar to those of major companies. £40 is on the high side, but not unreasonable.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The taxi rippoffs in Sweden are scandalous. One of the things totally putting me off from going to Sweden again. Never seen anything like that anywhere else.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

One of the things totally putting me off from going to Sweden again.

And what are the other things? :-)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message