Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Expansion of UK controlled airspace

The problem with all this is that somebody will have to pay for all the extra ATC desks. Even in taxpayer “pays for everything” countries, somebody will wonder if this makes sense. Most GA doesn’t pay, after all. So this could drive lots of illegal IFR ops, if route charges are brought in inder 2000kg. Modern avionics make illegal IFR very easy, especially if the pilot has a clue or two

I am all for TMZs. Lots of gliders already have Mode C so obviously it is easy to do. Obviously if one posted this in a gliding forum (or even one of the UK sites) one would get crucified…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Which ATC desks ? ATZ around towered airports (non-FISO) will become Class D one night and that’s it. Their staff may need an extra qualification but not much. They won’t get radar anyway ( so they will remain half useless IMO).

LFOU, France

It’ll have to be much more than ATZs, it’ll have to cover the whole procedures, missed approaches and, I assume, Arrivals and Departures.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy, before I waste the half-life of a chunk of uranium trying to find the pertinent draft EASA AMC/GM to Part ATS, can you point me in the direction of the ATC must be within CAS bit?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

The problem is it will make UK airspace an even worse minefield in terms of non-joint airspaces.

That is what I was thinking of, with that long list of airports, one may wonder how the whole lot will be coordinated in congested or chock points areas?
One already see a whole mess in the narrow corridors between ATZs or Class D airspace, either a big full integrated one or just nothing…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Balliol wrote:

I expect we would just apply derogations as required

I have not checked the legal text – is there a provision for derogations as derogations can be applied only if there is a legal provision in the legal text in the first place?

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

can you point me in the direction of the ATC must be within CAS bit?

ATS.TR.200 Application
ATC service shall be provided:
(a) to all IFR flights in airspace Classes A, B, C, D and E;
(b) to all VFR flights in airspace Classes B, C and D;
(c) to all special VFR flights;
(d) to all aerodrome traffic at controlled aerodromes.

ATS.TR.210

(b) Clearances issued by ATC units shall provide separation:

1. between all flights in airspace Classes A and B;
  2. between IFR flights in airspace Classes C, D and E;
  3. between IFR flights and VFR flights in airspace Class C;
  4. between IFR flights and special VFR flights;
  5. between special VFR flights unless otherwise prescribed by the competent authority;

except that, when requested by the pilot of an aircraft and agreed by the pilot of the other aircraft and if so prescribed by the competent authority for the cases listed under point (2) above in airspace Classes D and E, a flight may be cleared subject to maintaining own separation in respect of a specific portion of the flight below 3 050m (10 000 ft) during climb or descent, during day in visual meteorological conditions.

Easy enough to sort out in commitology, provided you are in the room and have a say!

Last Edited by Timothy at 25 Nov 23:06
EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Part ATS states that ATC may only be provided inside controlled airspace

That is not what the draft rule at ATS.TR.200 above states.

London, United Kingdom

Ahhh, but we are in definitions here. ATC means control – Class G is already in the Uncontrolled, FIS bit. UK FIS is already quite clear that it is advice and information and not Control.

Nothing new in Part ATS.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

So an aircraft approaching Inverness or Cambridge is receiving what service?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message