Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin / Avidyne / Jeppesen +V Advisory Glidepath / Glideslope, does it ever breach stepdown fixes, and does it exist for non-GPS IAP airports?

Peter wrote:

Before eventually doing my 2×IFD540 upgrade I need to check they do this too – or at least +V only.

Peter, I think you could run a trainer on an iPad for an IFD device and try all the things. Fresh firmware AFAIK supports +V, enroute VNAV and all other goodies as before (including even an external keyboard!). The only thing I’m not sure about if it supports RtF procedures, eveything else shoul be there…

EGTR

Thank you.

Before eventually doing my 2×IFD540 upgrade I need to check they do this too – or at least +V only.

This is another thread about this topic, with more interesting historical input e.g. the Proline 21 “visual approach” starts at 5nm (from @neil).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, +V is advisory vertical guidance on an IAP that has LNAV or LP straight-in minimums. It is intended to provide advisory vertical guidance along the final approach segment on a stabilized descent path to the runway using CDFA. The advisory vertical guidance goes all the way to the pavement, but should not be used below the MDA because obstacles may be encountered in the visual segment. With the latest versions of the GTN software, +V can be provided when SBAS is not available. The latest GTN Xi software versions support +V for a VOR or NDB approach.

Visual Approach is not associated with an IAP. It is associated with a runway and the extended center line. On the GNS530W, I used to activate the final approach segment of a straight-in instrument approach to get a similar effect, but this only worked if the runway had a straight in approach. Many airports are not IFR, so don’t have IAP or don’t have a straight-in approach to the runway. Visual approach is much simpler than +V and all one does to get this guidance is to select the visual approach to the runway. A single point 3 NM from the threshold is generated named V3NM. A warning message displaying the VDA and the TCH being used and that there may be obstacles. In some cases, the runway may not provide vertical guidance if the path is obstacle challenged. The guidance uses the normal navigation outputs, so an autopilot can be used to follow the guidance.

The +V is intended to be an aid for performing a stabilized IFR approach using CDFA technique. The visual approach is an aid to conduct a VFR/visual landing when one is not familiar with the airport, in poor visual conditions, night time, or when there are parallel runways to assist with landing on the assigned and correct runway.

KUZA, United States

arj1 wrote:

As per https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2024-01-25-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EG-AD-2.EGHO-en-GB.html#EGHO-AD-2.14
07 APAPI Left/4° 20 FT
25 APAPI Left/4° 20 FT

Now this gets interesting. The visual approach to runways, 07, 25 and 30 has a 3° glideslope in the GTN650Xi. The visual approach to RWY 12 doesn’t provide vertical guidance – probably because of the “dominant obstacle” mentioned in the AIP.

But it is really strange that the PAPIs are published as 4° with 20 ft TCH while the GTN box gives you 3° and 50 ft TCH.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

The EGHO slopes have 3°. But does EGHO have PAPIs at all?

As per https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2024-01-25-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EG-AD-2.EGHO-en-GB.html#EGHO-AD-2.14
07 APAPI Left/4° 20 FT
25 APAPI Left/4° 20 FT

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Does it really do 4 degrees as per PAPIs? Or will it do only 3 degrees slopes for EGHO?

The EGHO slopes have 3°. But does EGHO have PAPIs at all?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Jan 10:53

Peter wrote:

OK, playing with terminology

+V means what Garmin says it means…

Airborne_Again wrote:

Visual approaches have +V even if there are no IAPs to the runway as long as enough data for the runway is published, e.g. EGHO.

Does it really do 4 degrees as per PAPIs? Or will it do only 3 degrees slopes for EGHO?

EGTR

OK, playing with terminology

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The “visual approach” would not have +V; it isn’t +V

I don’t know what you mean by “it isn’t +V”. “+V” is something that Garmin has added as an extra function – it is not provided in the approach procedures.

It most cases visual approaches in the GTN650Xi do have +V, e.g. the visual approaches to EGHE has +V. (Read post #05 again.)

Visual approaches have +V even if there are no IAPs to the runway as long as enough data for the runway is published, e.g. EGHO.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 25 Jan 09:49
156 Posts
Sign in to add your message