Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week(-end)? (7-13 August 2023)

ivark wrote:

ivark13-Aug-23 12:0110
took the plane home for some cleaning..

Awesome.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Had fantastic, if slightly hot, flying weather this week-end

Left my home base on Friday for a direct flight to Krems LOAG. South of Innsbruck, slightly South of Zell am See, all set in beautiful mountains.
Saturday made a local flight to Nötsch im Gailtal LOKN, a lovely grass field, for coffee and unfinished business (true )… before returning to Krems, mainly following the mountain ridges between Austria, and Slovenia / Hungary.

The fly-in had a good attendance, some 70+ aircraft, mostly Austrian (…), German, Dutch, and a few Swiss… some nicely crafted machines for sure. It is always a pleasure to reunite with folks sharing the same passion

Flew back this morning Sunday, following a more northerly route which now took me North of Innsbruck.

Krems an der Donau

Göttweig Abbey

The line-up

Even them Austrians know how to grow mountains Though this one is disputed by the Germans too: the Zugspitze

Last Edited by Dan at 13 Aug 15:14
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The owner of the field and myself arranged a fly-in at ENMO yesterday. With BBQ, Luftwaffels, coffee. Very sub optimal weather, but a total of 7 bush/STOL planes gathered

My and Eirik’s Savannha :

A very nice KitFox from the 90s. Restored to pristine and original looking condition during the last year:

Another Savannah, this one is homebuilt. Very nicely done.

And a third Savannah (should have bigger wheels )

A Savage Cub with proper tires

A Cessna 185 (flown by Wingswaterandwheels)

And the Army Cub from Værnes, which I have flow a lot also

The usual stuff, had some fun, told some stories, and did some flying Then WWnW asked me if I had ever flown the 185, which I hadn’t. Would you like to try? Yes I said I chickened out taking off the big brute of a plane in the tunnel of trees that is the airfield up there, the first time ever inside a C-185. But after a flight of about 30 minutes in the mountains, I managed to land it without too many jumps WWnW is a CRI, and a good one, I must say. This will be the last summer with wheels. Next year they will put it back on the newly restored floats. WWnW has all the ratings for a full practical course for seaplane, hmmm

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ok ok, we had a couple of bush tires (those cost about 2K$+… each) equipped monsters at Krems too

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

@ivark what attitude indicator is that in your Sav?

always learning
LO__, Austria
EETU, Estonia

LeSving wrote:

A Cessna 185 (flown by Wingswaterandwheels)

A beautiful bird indeed, having personally witnessed it last week at Trondheim! A full fuel, full friends plus your luggage and game in+out of anywhere kind of airplane…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Having narrowly and deliberately missed the historical storms in Norway we spent most of the week in Denmark, as reported in last weekend’s report.

Since I never intended our trusty 210 to fly away without us, and the weather was like this for several days in a row…

A 08/08/2023 10:20→
METAR EKRK 081020Z AUTO 26027G37KT 9999 SCT048/// 17/06 Q0997=
SA 08/08/2023 09:50→
METAR EKRK 080950Z AUTO 26026G38KT 9999 BKN047/// 17/06 Q0997=
SA 08/08/2023 09:20→
METAR EKRK 080920Z AUTO 26026G40KT 9999 SCT046/// 17/06 Q0997=
SA 08/08/2023 08:50→
METAR EKRK 080850Z AUTO 27028G40KT 9999 BKN042/// 16/05 Q0997=
SA 08/08/2023 08:20→
METAR EKRK 080820Z AUTO 26027G43KT 9999 BKN041/// 15/07 Q0997=
SA 08/08/2023 07:50→
METAR EKRK 080750Z AUTO 26026G43KT 9999 BKN040/// 15/07 Q0997=

we had to take extra measures to ensure it was firmly attached to Mother Earth while my family helpers ensured they did not fly away themselves while getting soaked in the rainy, 40kt wind…

Then prior to the weekend we flew on to Mainz to visit some friends at beautiful Rudesheim am Rhein for a couple of days before finally having again to dodge some weather on the way back home to Mallorca on Saturday

While at Rudesheim, we also flew our friends around the area for some sightseeing of Frankfurt and the famous riesling vineyards

@Mooneydriver some flock of swift intruders had found their way onto the Mainz apron

amidst an impressive group of birds much more worthy of the former adjective , in more than one sense!

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 Aug 16:28
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

some 70+ aircraft

That is an impressive number indeed! What did they do to gather such a large flock?

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 Aug 16:36
Antonio
LESB, Spain

What did they do to gather such a large flock?

The major factor, for any kind of fly-in that is, is how good a contact the organization has with The Great Weather Master.
These national Homebuilt events are generally well attended, if the above is fulfilled. Also helping is the location… held in the EU helps, an attractive place also helps. Landing fee waived helps too, as does a sympathetic approach to the organization.

Our association EAS is hosting its annual event next week-end, at my field LSZF… unfortunately this will also be the LAA‘s week-end, to which I’ll try to get.
Experience has shown that events held in Switzerland usually have modest numbers of foreign attendees. Not being in the EU, proximity to those unforgiving mountains, and an expensive everything reputation, sure don’t help…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message