Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IFR Currency - exact requirements for the 6/6 IR rolling currency (merged)

Why can I one just state that national regs have to be followed?

No conflict there with the FAA requirements.

So many posts on unrelated stuff…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well it’s not that obvious

Does landing at UK night which is SS+30min count for FAA night landing currency? or it has to be after SS+50min for Civil Twilight?

Can I log my DIY GPS approach to non-IFP airport like North Weald in G-reg down to 800ft amsl as part of 6/6 FAA IR currency? even if it’s likely to be prohibited by FAA under FAR in N-reg?

I am inclined to think both count, it’s under national regs after all but I would still seek some serious CFI advice if these counts under FAA rules for currency or instructor & examiner rides…

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 11:23
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Does landing at UK night which is SS+30min count for FAA night landinh currency?

No. 14 CFR 61.57(b)(1). The experience must be gained during the period from an hour after sunset until an hour before sunrise. For practical purposes this can be achieved every day of the year at latitudes lower than about 64 degrees.

London, United Kingdom

Ok, why you can’t count night landings done in G-reg in UK at SS+30min using your FCL PPL for FAA night currency?

As Peter said, the national rules regs were followed

PS: sorry, it’s SS+1h for “night landing” not even Civil Twilight, that is for “night flying time”

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 12:06

No; in aviation, you have to follow the more restrictive of multiple rules.

Qalupalik’s post above applies for the FAA night passenger currency (which is nothing to do with the thread topic, again).

Whether you can log a DIY approach towards the FAA 6/6 currency requirement, you need to establish whether 91.175 applies in Europe.

Administrator

Whether you can log a DIY approach towards the FAA 6/6 currency requirement, you need to establish whether 91.175 applies in Europe.

If you are doing DIY approach in G-reg inside UK airspace using UK PPL, then the restrictive 91.175 in Part91 does not apply at all, only ANO/SERA & NCO applies: IMO, the approach should be ok for FAA IR 6/6 currency under Part61 as in 61.57 (same way, I expect gallois circling approaches in F-reg on DGAC PPL to count for FAA IR 6/6 currency)

It’s only in N-reg where things becomes messy as you may have to operate under restrictive version of Part91 & NCO

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Jul 12:51

Yes that’s true.

It’s not clear to me whether 91.175 applies to the aircraft reg (N) or to the exercise of a license issued under Part 61.

Administrator

gallois wrote:

I do not understand why this is not possible under FAA rules for currency, unless you can only record IFR time when in actual IMC which would seem a bit crazy to me as you are still flying to IFR regs.

Under FAA regulation, one does not log IFR time per se, one logs “instrument time”. There are two cases where one may log instrument time. Note that logging instrument time does not require that the flight be conducted under IFR. The main case is “actual instrument time” if using the flight instruments is necessary to control the aircraft because visual means is not an option, IOW this is normally you are inside the clouds. The other way one can log instrument time is when conducting simulated instrument flight conditions, typically when wearing a view limiting device such as a hood or foggles, and requires a safety pilot in the other pilot station.

Logging instrument time only applies in the two cases above. IMC are conditions that are not VMC, but in many cases they may be visual conditions, such as at the end of an approach when you land or when the cloud separation or visibility is below VMC limits. For example in class E airspace, one is in IMC less than 1000 feet above an overcast, but may very well have visibility of 100 NM. These are IMC, but are not actual instrument conditions. On the other hand, under an overcast on a dark night over the ocean or desert without any lights on the ground, the conditions may be 100 NM, well clear of any clouds and VMC, but because one can’t determine the horizon, it would be considered actual instrument conditions.

A US log book does not have columns for IMC or IFR. rather it has Instrument: actual, simulated columns.

KUZA, United States

Ibra wrote:

If you are doing DIY approach in G-reg inside UK airspace using UK PPL, then the restrictive 91.175 in Part91 does not apply at all,

Literally, the regulations for logging instrument approaches for currency require that the approach be one based on part 97 of the regulations. Part 97 only applies to approaches in the US, so if you read the regulations literally, those conducted outside the US don’t qualify. The FAA has never taken the position that the literal reading implies that an approach outside the US does not count!

KUZA, United States

Thanks for the detailed explanation @NCYankee
Very different to the system here. I take a test to revalidate each year no matter how many hours of IFR or instrument time I do. But the one test does count for revalidation on MEP MEIR SEP and SEIR without having to do any further controls.

France
Sign in to add your message