Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your flying year, 2013

Callum,

Yes, that is the 182, extensively modified to be an amphibian, and upon which I have installed the MT reversing propeller. I am in the midst of certification. You won’t find much information on line, as it is a one of a kind. I can provide any more information that you would like as I go along….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

A bit unusual for me, as it is the first year since getting my PPL in 1989 (or 88? or 87?) that I have zero hours single engine piston. (One hour on board a microlight for taking aerial photographs of my employers factories, but that doesn’t count as I am not qualified to fly microlights and was holding the camera most of the time). This is due to the fact that every unemployed pilot has now become a flying instructor leaving no students for us “seasoned” instructors. But this will change again sometime. Maybe. And due to the fact that I have flown zero hours privately this year. At almost 350 Euros/hour for renting a Pa28 no surprise.

Apart from that, so far (a few more flights will come, the year is not over yet) it looks like:

Days on flying duty: 132 (+ some days for courses)
Total hours: 280
MEP: 10
MET: 270
Landings: 262
IFR: 275
actual IMC: Impossible to determine (still curious to find out how people actually measure those?)
Number of aircraft flown: only 3 (Pa44, C550, C560) – probably also a negative record.
No. of hours instructed on the FNPT: 31
No. of hours spent repairing the FNPT: countless…

EDDS - Stuttgart

r. At almost 350 Euros/hour for renting a Pa28 no surprise.

Are you sure that is not a typo? That would be an outrageous price!

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Since January 1, 2013:
149 hrs as of November 30th – about average. 323 landings.
12,5 night – 29 landings.
38,5 IFR (not even one single NDB or VOR approach! – only ILS or GPS)
108 hrs instruction given.
Multi engine: 0. Turbine: 0. Seaplane: 0.
42 hrs glass cockpit (G1000 and Avidyne), 61 hrs steam gauges SEP, 46 hrs TMG (G109B).
Type with most hrs: DA-40 TDI 32 hrs. 15 airplanes, approx 10 types.
New this year: Piper Cub L-3 unplugged.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Are you sure that is not a typo? That would be an outrageous price!

Yes, unfortunately, this is what the flying school where I instruct (sometimes, maybe…) has to charge as charter price for a Pa28. We “live” at an international airport and alone the cost of parking the aircraft there is enormous. Then comes AVGAS at over 2,50 Euros/litre and expensive insurance (they are all insured as training aircraft). And there are almost no small airfields in the vicinity of EDDS where one could go alternatively, apart from some flying club members-only operated ones with limited movements and restrictive opening hours. So hiring a small plane privately is almost impossible for me… it would probaly be cheaper to ask my employer for his Citation instead, at least when one considers distance covered!

EDDS - Stuttgart

what next, that seems to be low numbers for a professional…

EDXQ

I am not done flying yet for this year, but am almost hitting the 400 hours for 2013.

Question: what is sorties? Don’t know that term.

EDLE, Netherlands

what next, that seems to be low numbers for a professional…

As long as they pay me my full salary, I’m OK

But that’s the kind of hours you get from flying a bizjet right from the middle of Europe. Almost every destination can be reached within an hour, so the typical business flight (early morning departure, late evening return) will yield two hours flying time. The long duty hours will then spoil the next day as you can’t be employed due to duty and rest time limitations. Back when I was flying the Cessns 421 and similar, I would have logged over twice as many hours for the same trips… But this year has been below average which for me has been slightly over 300 hours (+ instructing) for the last five years or so.

EDDS - Stuttgart

As long as they pay me my full salary, I’m OK

@Aeroplus 400 hours means how many inspections on your SR22? I know you are N-reg but if I’m right, on EASA-reg this would be 1 annual, 4 × 100 hours, 4 × 50 hours. And you’d have a engine overhaul after 4-5 years. A LOT of money!

EDXQ

On an N-reg it would be the Annual and 50hr inspections only, unless you are either carrying paying passengers or training others in your plane. When I did the IR in Arizona, their PA28s were doing 700hrs/year so they had 7 100hr checks every year, each of which is almost a whole Annual.

On a G-reg (UK) it would be the Annual, 2×50hr, 150hr, 2×50hr, 150hr, 50hr.

Is there a European country which runs a 100hr check on Part M?

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Dec 08:30
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message