Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your flying year, 2013

Peter if a n reg _ aircraft was used for instruction what are the service requirements then

Last Edited by Bathman at 18 Dec 08:35

Peter if a n reg _ aircraft was used for instruction what are the service requirements then

Not sure what you mean by “instruction”.

In theory (see the DfT website) you will never get the DfT permission to use an N-reg for training other people i.e. flying school type of usage.

For training yourself in your plane (owned by you or a max of 3 others, as a summary of the DfT conditions) – no special requirements. The DfT needs to see your insurance, Annual release to service, CofA, CofR, etc, and you get the permit till the first of these expires. I do that every year for the JAA IR revalidation flight!

Oddly enough it is I believe possible to put an N-reg onto an EASA AOC. The requirements are on the DfT website somewhere (or used to be). From memory, there must be no objections from other European operators, and there are some requirements on maintenance and pilot papers (probably per EASA, I guess, otherwise everybody would be on N-reg). However it is years since I looked…

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Dec 08:55
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Even Aeroplus’ plane is an N-reg, Cirrus has these 100/50 hours intervals AFAIK so that turns out to be quite expensive.

@Aeroplus time to think about turbine upgrade?

Last Edited by Muelli at 18 Dec 08:56
EDXQ

What is the SR22 100hr check, exactly?

Administrator

Oddly enough it is I believe possible to put an N-reg onto an EASA AOC.

Yes, but only temporarily and under special circumstances. A few years ago our company briefly (for three or four months IIRC) operated an Embraer Legacy which was still N registered before it was finally placed on the german register. There were large heaps of paperwork involved…

EDDS - Stuttgart

On a Cirrus, the 100hrs inspection is just like an annual. I believe this is more or less true for all piston aircraft.

But yes, on a private N-reg. one usually wouldn’t do 100hrs inspections.

Also, if flying 400 hours a year, there would most probably be no reason to do a complete engine overhaul at 2000hrs. The bottom end will probably be like new at that time.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But hasn’t Cirrus a 100 and 50 hrs service plan and is that bound to aircraft warranty?

EDXQ

I believe this is more or less true for all piston aircraft.

Not in the UK, where it is 150. Whether this matters depends on whether you reach 100 or 150hrs in the year, of course… I suspect (have no data on this) that a lot of owners exceed 100 but not many exceed 150. The normal tactic here is that if you reach 150 with say 3 weeks to run to the Annual, you either ground the plane for the 3 weeks, or do the Annual 3 weeks early. The problem with the latter is that the Annual eventually ends up in the summer, which is highly undesirable.

This is all a big issue for syndicates which often go past 150 and many – given the old planes they tend to operate – face substantial downtime as a result. So an N-reg is better for a syndicate – or indeed any serious flying by anybody because an EASA Annual can be hard to get done away from base.

if flying 400 hours a year, there would most probably be no reason to do a complete engine overhaul at 2000hrs. The bottom end will probably be like new at that time.

The main bearings, I am sure, but maybe not the rest, like the cylinders. The difference between a “repair to new limits” and an “overhaul” is mainly the new cylinders. But it could also be the exhaust system, plus turbo(s).

But hasn’t Cirrus a 100 and 50 hrs service plan and is that bound to aircraft warranty?

I bet, but how long is the warranty?

It is fairly normal, for political reasons, to do all servicing during the warranty at the original dealer.

If Cirrus enforce the 100hr “Annual” even on N-reg, that is quite a big problem…

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Dec 09:44
Administrator

No. Factory warranty is not affected by whether you do the recommended 100hrs inspections.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am flying a Dutch registered Cirrus and not a N-registered one. And yes, I am working on my JetProp (PA46) type rating, but am not sure it will help me a lot. I will have to discuss that with Jason. The range I can fly is shorter. The pressure cabin would be great. The (official) payload is not good. I know they are all flying out of POH W&B limitations, but I am not sure I want to do that. The extra speed brings me faster to my destination, but most of the time is now lost at the airport itself or enroute to the airport.

Guys: what does this word “sorties” mean?

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 18 Dec 12:45
EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message