Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing (merged threads)

For those with an OAT probe on a GTX330, this may be of interest.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Its funny I have 4 temp gauges not one is the same as the others. Im hoping that the gauge for the G600 is correct so at least I’ll get my TAS correct.

KHTO, LHTL

In my humble opinion, severe icing is hard to virtually impossible to predict. There where you exact severe ice, there is only rime ice and where you don’t exact anything but light rime ice, you can encounter severe ice. And severe ice can build up very fast giving you hardly any time to act. Especially if you have no de-icing equipment and a low powered aircraft.

EDLE, Netherlands

Well… One day it had to happen and for most of you that’s probably daily business.

Yesterday around 1400LT on the WRB9N departure from EDVK I encountered icing for the first time. The outside temperature was -4C, it was at about 8000ft while climbing to FL120 at 1100 ft/minute with an IAS of 130kt.

Shortly after I was at FL120 and the temperature was -13C and seconds later I was in VMC.

The TKS was set to normal operation and given the data I just mentioned there was no reduced performance. Of course I can’t say anything about the underside of the wing but then the SR22TN was climbing very well at MTOW.

Frequent travels around Europe

Detail view of the picture above.

Frequent travels around Europe

I would not call that a real/seriousl ice-encounter. This will happen all the time when you climb or descend. Doesn’t look like anything serious to me.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 01 May 15:40
EDLE, Netherlands

With a TKS turbo Cirrus, there really isn’t any icing outside of convective clouds and freezing rain. You can climb very fast to -15°C where icing stops and TKS will keep the wings clean.

Well, the last time I flew IFR it was -1°C in FL60, so I guess -15°C was in FL130. That’s a pretty long climb in the wrong conditions. I decided to stay down there …

It is easily possible to collect that much ice in seconds, in a little piece of white stuff I probably got a bit of that today, descending into Prague, also in seconds.

What is much more hazardous is getting ice on the air intake filter. It can happen at -15C, when the wings are totally clean, and you get a very unexpected engine stoppage – until you pull the alternate air. When that happens, the EDM700 sees an “impossible” EGT fluctuation and shuts off some of the EGT probe inputs, until it is power cycled (which you probably can’t do until after landing, unless there is a CB just for it). That increases the confusion nicely! So, anytime in real IMC, use the prop TKS option. If you don’t have one, you have a problem, even in air colder than -15C.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would recommend you switch on the TKS a bit earlier. Once you have solid ice over the panel … I know that they say it will work, but i prefer to have it on enetering icey clouds or at least when I see the first trace of ice.

Other opinions?

Sign in to add your message