Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taxi instructions from tower during short final

They expressed the view that a visual approach is not possible w/o cancelling IFR.
That’s correct in principle. The other one, where you follow the traffic in front maintaining your own visual separation is called “VMC” approach. But few controllers bother to distinguish between the two.

Surely that’s not correct. A VA is an IFR procedure.

And the only way you can cancel IFR is if the pilot cancels it.

I suppose ATC is entitled to refuse to offer a VA unless you first cancel IFR – that is merely called “extortion” and is fine so long as everybody does it

Another scenario where cancellation of IFR is the only sensible option available to the pilot is if approaching to land, descending below cloud to maintain VMC, but having to descend below the MVA. The ATCO will say he cannot offer a service unless you cancel IFR. I got this from (the otherwise very helpful) Zadar, when I had to descend below 3000ft, over the sea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course, as long as you have not cancelled IFR your visual approach is an IFR procedure.

Surely that’s not correct. A VA is an IFR procedure.

True when inside controlled airspace. For airfields in uncontrolled airspace that have instrument procedures, a visual approach requires cancellation of IFR first. Maybe that’s a special German regulation, but they insist on it. Every single time.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I need VMC for a visual approach, but it still can be an IFR flight.

No, again, in France you can perform a visual approach in IMC condition. The only weather requirement is that RVR should be 800 meters or more.

Hopefully, it will be harmonised accross europe as PART-NCO contains this :

AMC2 NCO.OP.110 Aerodrome operating minima — aeroplanes and helicopters
VISUAL APPROACH
For a visual approach operation, the RVR should not be less than 800 m.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 07 May 21:44

Yes I got a kick of this AMC when I read it only a few days ago! Can’t believe it.

LFPT, LFPN

That’s correct in principle. The other one, where you follow the traffic in front maintaining your own visual separation is called “VMC” approach. But few controllers bother to distinguish between the two

I know for sure that in France there was something similar called VMC clearance until 2006. VMC clearance also permitted to fly below MSA in VMC but it no longer exists.
Since 2006, it’s called successive visual approach or rather visual approach.
I’ve the law reference (in French) if you wish.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 07 May 22:45

When established on final on e.g. the ILS I move to the airport diagram on the MFD to figure out (again) which exit to expect and thus where to land or to anticipate where to exit and go once landed. Once fully established and handed over to the tower, there is not much else to do.

EDLE, Netherlands

For airfields in uncontrolled airspace that have instrument procedures, a visual approach requires cancellation of IFR first. Maybe that’s a special German regulation, but they insist on it. Every single time.

Exactly!!
Must have to do with their view that IFR is forbidden in G, except for the few approaches they allow it.

Last Edited by mdoerr at 08 May 07:13
United Kingdom

When established on final on e.g. the ILS I move to the airport diagram on the MFD

Interesting. In the Cirrus I prefer to have the active ILS/Approach Chart on the MFD for the check altitudes. I think that’s more important than the taxi chart.

IMHO ideally the airport chart should appear automatically at GS < 40kt or so.

The old Jepp FliteDeck used to do that. I am not familiar with their current products; maybe the Ipad JeppFD v2+ does this. But for panel mounts?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message