Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Insurance companies, premiums, exclusions, etc

Plenty of N-reg are covered outside of the UK. I am covered by a Danish insurer and the Germans do lots.

A friend of mine has a DA40, N-reg, based in France, insured by a Belgian company through a French broker. The policy documents were issued in French but English was made available upon request.

Mine, N-reg, is insured through a French broker with a French insurance company. There are 3 re-insurers, one of them being AXA, another one may be German (Allianz). I specifically asked for a proof of insurance in English.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 05 Jun 15:51
LFPT, LFPN

Is there anyone who tried Lloyds Syndicate 2001 ( MS Amlin )

I have received a good quote but I am looking for a review of them

Thank you

Italy

Hi all,
which insurances are suggested, which are mandatory for me when renting a plane (eg DA40 NG) and flying with friends and family?

What should I observe and check about the mandatory insurance of the aircraft owner?

Is there any insurance that I could get for me personally (to be protected agains liabilities in case of an accident – pax hurt, plane damaged, legal protection agains insurance company of aircraft owner etc…)?

Thanks guys and safe flights,
Pat

always learning
LO__, Austria

An EASA aircraft must have an Insurance policy that states on it that it is issued in accordance with Regulation (EC) 785/2004
The policy will cover all third party liabilities however; may not cover the pilot in any way. Finding additional personal liability insurance is quite difficult and presumably very expensive if you do find it.

Tumbleweed wrote:

The policy will cover all third party liabilities however; may not cover the pilot in any way. Finding additional personal liability insurance is quite difficult and presumably very expensive if you do find it.

In what situations would personal liability insurance for the pilot be needed when operator liability exists?

(Btw: 785/2004 includes the first half-useful definition of “operator” I’ve seen: “‘aircraft operator’ means the person or entity, not being an air carrier, who has continual effective disposal of the use or operation of the aircraft; the natural or legal person in whose name the aircraft is registered shall be presumed to be the operator, unless that person can prove that another person is the operator;”)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Sep 08:38
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Does the easa conforming insurance cover liability against persons sitting in the aircraft who are insured?

For yachting you can get a skipper insurance which will cover the detuctible from zero on until the insurance of the charter outfit kicks in. Even in case of negligence for instance.
Have you heard of a similar thing for flying?

always learning
LO__, Austria

@airborne
The owner will prove this using the aircraft log?

always learning
LO__, Austria

What a strangely useful and common sense definition of operator…

Back to the question:

Short answer – as long as the insurance policy is valid with you flying the aircaft, you enjoy pretty much the same cover as the owner/pilot, so as long as he/she has sufficient cover in the policy, you are fine and you don’t need extra insurance as long as you are happy to pay any excess.

Long answer:

1) Ensure the policy is valid with you as the pilot. This does not mean that you are covered for anything, just that the insurance applies. There are variations of this:
“any pilot”, “any pilot subject to ”, or “named pilots”; and typically they are restricted to pilots properly authorized by the owner, and properly licensed.

If the policy is not valid to start with, it won’t pay anything, and you are definitely on the hook.

2) Assuming it is valid, check what it covers. And think about the risks covered and the limits, not who is covered. They all cover damage to third parties (inside and outside the aircraft), and optionally hull.

Anything covered at this point need not concern you, the only stuff that can come back to you is stuff that is NOT covered, which will be
– any excess. You land gear up, insurance pays everything except, say, a 5k excess, you will be on the hook for the 5k.
– any risks not covered at all. If you make a precautionary landing in a field and there is no damage, but the aircraft cannot safely be flown out and needs to be trailered, is that covered?
– anything that exceeds the third party limit and where YOU are found at fault.
– anything that exceeds the other limits. This can be the difference between market value and insurance pay-out if you destroy the aircraft, for example
– EVERYTHING if somehow the insurance does not pay out.

The same applies to the owner as a pilot – so it all boils down to if you think the insurance limits are sufficient, or if you need more insurance than the owner/pilot enjoys, and if you need insurance to cover the excess.

The big point to watch when judging if the policy is sufficient is the limit for third party cover, and to what extent that includes third parties on board of the aircraft. The statutory minimum for passengers is far too low.

Biggin Hill

Thanks alot, great info!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Who do insurance brokers represent?

We got a renewal notice from our broker of long standing for 4,400 currency units.

We went to Visicover and got a quote for 2,100 of the same units.

The broker sharpened their pencil and got to 2,200 units with the same terms as the original quote. So we end up with a quote for half of the original.

My question is whether we think that the broker should be representing our interests and getting us the best quote to start with, or is that just too naive?

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message