Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airway MEA Hours

I noticed on the N601 airway up to Scotland, the MEA is increased during the day time (from FL100 to FL140) which is easy to miss. I was wondering if this is a common occurence?

Autorouter seemed to plan and file this airway in the route even though I ended up being below MEA for part of the journey!

EGBB

Roger wrote:

easy to miss

Indeed, the time variable lower bound is not coded in the eurocontrol database for N601.

Roger wrote:

I was wondering if this is a common occurence?

I’ve only noticed this in Scotland, but there, it seems common.

LSZK, Switzerland

What’s MEA?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Minimum Enroute Altitude. It’s the lowest altitude for an airway and ensures that you won’t hit anything when following the airway plus that you can either receive the navaids that define the airway (eg. VORs) or that you can be seen by RADAR.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 11 Oct 19:09
Frequent travels around Europe

ensures that you won’t hit anything when following the airway plus that you can either receive the navaids that define the airway (eg. VORs) or that you can be seen by RADAR.

Not quite. Airway MEAs are also often determined by the airspace structure.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks, chaps!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I had the same thing happen on P18 to Scotland a couple of weeks ago. Chucked into G for about 30 miles. London Info were fine about co-ordinating my clearance back into the airway 10 minutes later, but it all seems a bit daft. How is one supposed to know about these temporary changes? Is it in any publication? The FPL was validated by Eurocontrol with no issue.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

boscomantico wrote:

It’s frequently quite possible to fly DCT between waypoints below the MEA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Exactly. MOCA is the lowest obstacle clearance altitude. MRA is the lowest altitude at which you can receive the navaids.

Outside airways MORA is the minimum off-route altitude.

LFPT, LFPN

In Europe, airway MEA is usually the lowest of

• base of CAS
  • MRA (minimum reception altitude for VORs on which the airway is based – a bit obsolete in these RNAV days)
  • MOCA (minimum obstacle clearance altitude)

It’s frequently quite possible to fly DCT between waypoints below the MEA.

With various caveats…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message