Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

Peter wrote:

Regarding the earlier debate, yes, you won’t die just because you have lost your approach plates etc, but you are going to make a right dick of yourself and this sort of thing doesn’t help GA’s image as a bunch of fumbling amateurs, which is the image maintained in some quarters of the regulatory establishment and, believe it or not, in some (not many) areas of ATC.

So you need a backup. I don’t think anyone disagrees. However I still think the scale of this ‘problem’ is being overstated.

EGTK Oxford

one of the manageable iOS equivalents for peter’s infamous ozi-explorer

Just had a look… does it run Ozi maps? There are IOS apps that do run OZF2 but they don’t support any of the projections except the basic rectangular one (called Mercator I think) which rules out aviation charts, except (a) terminal charts / airport diagrams or (b) area charts obtained by downloading tiles from online sources (like the IGN one, whose developer is sadly no longer around).

I’ve not seen anything on iPad as arcane as the 430!

Yes, the 430 user interface is crap but it’s consistently crap and just keeps running the same way

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Just had a look… does it run Ozi maps?

no, it supports .sqlitedb or .mbtiles offline maps, such as the ones generated by Mobile Atlas Creator (known also as MOBAC). not sure about the projection.

LFSB

I don’t get the point of this thread at all.

If the argument is that tablet devices are dangerous in the cockpit, because they might distract you or you might be head down too much, or you might press the wrong buttons, then this is like saying that a G1000 or an ADF needle is dangerous if you don’t know how to use it. It’s the same old arguments we had when GPS first started appearing and people said they were dangerous and charts were safer. There will always be people who don’t bother to learn how to use a technology or tool properly.

On the other hand, if the argument is that tablets are too unreliable to be trusted or to be safe in the cockpit, then I completely disagree:

1) If you end up with a flat battery at a critical time, that is just bad planning. Carry a spare, and make sure you have sufficient battery at all times. I can do 8 hours flying with two iPad Mini’s without any charging of either. And would happily buy a third (for the price of a couple hours flying) if I wanted to do 12 hour legs with continuous iPad operation.
2) The hardware is very reliable. You are much more likely to get a piston engine failure than an iPad that suddenly just “dies” and won’t come back. I’m assuming we are only talking about Apple, Samsung or other trusted hardware and not the budget stuff.
3) The operating system is very reliable if you configure and use it properly. If you use iPad, then don’t install non-aviation junk apps you don’t need, don’t do unnecessary software updates just before a flight, and use the “Restrictions” feature to disable and lock down the device and keep the OS config as static as possible.
4) The quality of the app level software varies. Just like the difference between Narco vs Garmin for real avionics. Personally I never use Sky Demon as I find it to be a very poorly put together piece of software. Garmin Pilot is on a different level, it feels like it has been built by software engineers from the GTN team, which it probably has (or at least reuses source code from the GTN). Features like its terrain screen and airways loading, are virtually identical to a GTN 750. I have a very high level of trust in this software, from using it extensively with no issues, and I can rely on it accordingly. So chose the quality of software that is appropriate for the degree to which you will depend on it.
5) Manage the temperature of the device a bit like you would your CHTs. Don’t charge it in flight while in use if this can be avoided. Don’t leave it on the glareshield. Keep some reasonable airflow over it. Maybe turn the screen off in a quiet part of the cruise if it’s warm and you’re not looking at it. And it will be fine.

We all know that you need a “Plan B” if your tablet does fail, just like you need a Plan B if your Garmin 430 dies or you get unexpected icing or Autorouter refuses to file your flight plan. This is not a reason to not use the technology.

What we really need is some proper guidance out there on how to use tablet technology, and the associated software, in a structured and professional way in the cockpit, rather than saying that none of it can be trusted and it will make you look stupid when it causes you to make a mess of an instrument approach.

You are much more likely to get a piston engine failure than an iPad that suddenly just “dies” and won’t come back. I’m assuming we are only talking about Apple, Samsung or other trusted hardware and not the budget stuff.

That’s going to be a good topic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think the 430’s UI is “crap”. It is too complicated for the weekend-only-flyer … i agree, but once you have understood it’s logic it’s actually pretty nice.

It’s also extremely reliable. I fly one of them for 15 years now (in the Piper) and two more in the Cirrus for almost three years, and i had never fail one of them.

I don’t think the 430’s UI is “crap”. It is too complicated for the weekend-only-flyer … i agree, but once you have understood it’s logic it’s actually pretty nice.

It’s also extremely reliable. I fly one of them for 15 years now (in the Piper) and two more in the Cirrus for almost three years, and i had never fail one of them.

Umm, no the UI is crap. Reliable yes.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

I don’t agree; stalling is not normal but having sunlight in the cockpit is

Both failure modes are re pilot-induced. You just have to know the limitations of your systems. Goes for everything from the airframe via the engine to the avionics, installed or portable.

FWIW: The iPad mini and the iPad (the first one, I guess) both quit in FL75 in the Capitaine. Was a warm day, though. I have never had any problems with my Tab Active (thank to EuroGA for the hint), although the screen could be a bit brighter in direct sunlight. Although it’s not that clear, it is quite readable in that situation. In the video, I have flown for about 2 hours before that scene, and the tablet had not even a hickup, despite high ambient temperatures (wasn’t much over 2000ft AgL), no real cooling and plenty direct sunlight.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

flybymike wrote:

Will the GPS on an iPad self locate fairly quickly when travelling at speed?

My iPad Air 2 can get a signal on most of a commercial flight even if on aisle seat.

Sign in to add your message