Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

Mine too, it actually has a signal in the car, in all airplanes, in Midtown Manhattan …. the only place where it will not capture is INSIDE a house.

Also: a fully charged iPad 4 or iPad mini 3 (that’s the ones i have) will last longer than any of my typical flights. Even if everything is activated it will always run 5 hours, minimum. And of course i ca charge it in the plane.

Flyer59 wrote:

I don’t think the 430’s UI is “crap”.

If you had a GTN, I’m quite sure you’d change your mind

LSZK, Switzerland

No, I wouldn’t.

I paid € 13.000 for 2 GNS430W’s, and the installation will be about 3 hours. And I can fly everything with it a GTN can (actually I like the IFD440 better). Two GTNs would have cost me about € 40.000 including the installation.

I know the 430 pretty well and for the 3-5 flights i do per month (maybe one longer one) it’s really a total overkill. I rather inversted in the Autopilot, the charts on the MFD, the satellite weather – and in maintenance.

Or, more simple: You cannot have everything

Peter wrote:

Which ones?

You have to run Android of course. Samsung and Sony has some “ruggedized” ones. For “industrial strength” made to work, made to last: Panasonic Toughpad series, RangerX, Arbor Gladius and several more, but they cost 5-10 X that of a “household” iOS/Android pad. Are they worth it? I don’t know, but they come with features such as sunlight readable displays, swappable batteries, runs happily in severe hot and cold environments, shock resistant, vehicle mounts.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I know a little bit about the ruggedised computer business and in my opinion, speciality (= low volume) products can never match the debugging or the quality of volume consumer products, irrespective of end user price. They can certainly perform well, like the 430, but at the price of completely inflexible software and failure modes that were not detected at the release stage due to the tiny user base. Like the 430 memory card that just ‘fails’ for some inexplicable reason and renders the unit useless until replaced.

True, iPads can fail without warning and indeed I have one that did just that (LCD failure), but it’s easy to carry a spare iPad whereas a spare 430 is beyond many of us.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

we use three Android machines and never had overheat in bubble cockpit. Annercy was 38c last summer trip. S2 Galaxy is my fav. but Nexus 7 is great as is the Tesco hudle

Old iPad Retina used to overheat. Current iPad Mini4 does not. Maybe I’m more careful, I don’t put it in the sun and try to have an air-vent pointed at it.

ESMK, Sweden

I have my iPad running all the time when in flight with the screen on. Only ever had a problem when in direct sunlight. Otherwise fine.

davidradio
United States

I’ve never had my iPad overheat, not even when flying a Grumman Tiger in Texas during the late spring/early summer.

Andreas IOM

I concur with the android tablet not overheating. My T705 never does, no matter how hard I try to expose it to sunlight. But that could be because it has a lower power processor than the IOS ones, or the Win8 ones like my Lenovo T2.

There appear to be zero data points on IOS tablets (Ipads) never shutting down in direct sunlight, in unpressurised/non-airconditioned GA. They all seem to if you leave them for long enough, and even sooner if being charged.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message