Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS substitution for navaids - Europe generally - is it allowed? (and low vis ops)

ArcticChiller wrote:

I am not sure if I can fly SIDs and STARs without DME. Let’s say the ones at LSZG, they have waypoints with names which are in the GPS database. Therefore, I think, I could fly all procedures at LSZG with the exception of the VOR/DME approach. Any thoughts on this?

I doubt you will find any regulatory document that say that you may do that, nor any regulatory document that says that you may not.

As an analogy, the NOR VOR near Cologne has been out forever (the NOTAM is repeatedly reissued, it long predates Oct 2016):

Q) EDGG/QNTAS/IV/BO/A/000/999/5051N00708E005
B) FROM: 16/10/02 15:14C) TO: 16/11/01 08:54 EST
E) NOERVENICH VORTAC NOR 116.20/CH109X OUT OF SERVICE.

The DFS’s reaction is delightfully pragmatic:

Q) EDGG/QPDCH/I/NBO/A/000/999/5051N00708E005
B) FROM: 16/09/29 09:19C) TO: 16/12/27 23:59 EST
E) DUE TO OUTAGE OF NOR VORTAC THE FLW CHANGES TO SID OCCUR:
GPS/FMS RNAV OVERLAY REMAIN UNCHANGED.
AMEND NOR VORTAC TO READ NOR INT. PSN REMAINS UNCHANGED.
RWY 06:
NOR 8K ADD REMARK: AFTER PASSING 2400 FT BRNAV EQUIPMENT NECESSARY.
REF AD 2 EDDK 5-7-1 EFF 29 MAY 2014, 5-7-3 DATED 05 FEB 2015.
RWY 14L:
NOR 2W, NOR 8F AND NOR 7P: ADD REMARK: AFTER PASSING 2400 FT BRNAV
EQUIPMENT NECESSARY.
REF AD 2 EDDK 5-7-2A EFF 29 MAY 2014, 5-7-5 DATED 21 JUL 2015.
RWY 14R:
NOR 2V, NOR 7E AND NOR 5C: ADD REMARK: AFTER PASSING 2400 FT BRNAV
EQUIPMENT NECESSARY.
REF AD 2 EDDK 5-7-7 EFF 29 MAY 2014, 5-7-9 DATED 05 FEB 2015.
RWY 24:
NOR 7D AMEND RT, ON R089 NOR TO NOR TO READ RT, ON TRACK 269 DEG TO
NOR INT. ADD PDG 4.4 PER CENT (270 FT/NM) UNTIL PASSING 2400 FT. ADD
REMARK: AFTER PASSING 2400 BRNAV EQUIPMENT NECESSARY.
REF AD 2 EDDK 5-7-8 EFF 29 MAY 2014, 5-7-11 DATED 05 FEB 2015.
RWY 32L/R:
NOR 7M AND NOR 3B AMEND LT, ON R072 NOR TO NOR TO READ LT, ON TRACK
252 DEG TO NOR INT. ADD PDG 4.4 PER CENT (270 FT/NM) UNTIL PASSING
2400 FT. ADD REMARK: AFTER PASSING 2400 BRNAV EQUIPMENT NECESSARY.
REF AD 2 EDDK 5-7-13/-14 BOTH EFF 29 MAY 2014, 5-7-15 AND 5-7-17
BOTH DATED 05 FEB 2015.

In practice, I doubt anyone notices that the VORTAC is off air.

RNAV SID/STARs are GPS-only, because (in the GA context) an IFR GPS is the only means of compliance with BRNAV.

Non-RNAV SID/STARs… that’s a good question. Obviously everybody flies them using GPS, and they should be in the database of all the modern units (not, say, the KLN94) but IMHO they are “enroute” procedures, not terminal procedures, so GPS is 100% legal.

Whether the airspace in question also requires specific equipment carriage for IFR is a separate matter. DME is required in most/all of Europe. ADF also used to be. VOR may be?

Bookworm’s response above is spot on as usual

Also note that most French VORs have no DME…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

for sure not on the final approach, as I learned under the FARs

Could you point me to the specific reference for that? The reason is that I just asked an experienced FAA CFII that specific question a month ago, and was told that you can use GPS to substitute DME. He didn’t mention any restrictions.

I suggest reading this thread from Post 1, especially the very detailed posts from NCYankee who is an expert on this.

Administrator

I did read it, and I read it again now. All I can find is that for the lateral course guidance on final approach, you may not substitute a VOR or NDB with GPS if it is a VOR or NDB approach. Says nothing about DME on an ILS approach if you follow the ILS and check distances with GPS.

So my question still stands, where it says that “on approaches DME cannot be substituted”.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 21 Oct 10:09

Okay, here’s what I’ve been taught during the instrument ground course in the USA:

AIM
1−2−3. Use of Suitable Area Navigation (RNAV) Systems on Conventional Procedures and Routes

“4. Pilots may not substitute for the NAVAID (for example, a VOR or NDB) providing lateral guidance for the final approach segment.”

That’s clear enough for me concerning the USA.

But back to Europe. The thing that confused me was for example this:

ZG501 looked clearly like a GPS waypoint, while the other DME distances have no additional information. However I agree that a GTN650 or similar can do this anyways. So it’s more a legal question, but there seems to be no clear answer as there is in the AIM.

FRI6T and FRI6Z are non-RNAV SIDs. In “classical IFR” you fly them as charted i.e. by tracking the VOR radials of 078 or 244, until 2D or 4D. In reality everyboy who has a GPS will use that, of course. The slant range error, is miniscule, whether you used GRE or even ( terminally carelessly ) LSZG as the GPS waypoint

ZG501 is a GPS waypoint for the BIRKI6V departure

and that bit of the plate depicts visual departures

It’s amusing that for visual stuff they are happy with the GPS

Administrator

That’s clear enough for me concerning the USA.

For me too – my CFII was right and there is nothing that prohibits you from substituting a DME with GPS in the USA, contrary to what was stated here.

Where was the contrary stated?

Administrator

Post #53 which I have quoted twice already:

on approaches DME cannot be substituted (for sure not on the final approach, as I learned under the FARs)

Sign in to add your message