Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

Rehabilitation programs don’t work. :-(
https://mol.im/a/9382569

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

It would be interesting to read the study, but in the absence of a randomised control, it is highly unlikely to support the headline “Violent inmates are MORE likely to reoffend after going through ‘rehabilitation’ programmes’”, because only those judged most violent and most likely to reoffend where put in the programme.

It is akin to saying “Patients are MORE likely to die after going through ‘hospital treatment’”, which is technically correct but misleading, to say the least.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 20 Mar 17:13
Biggin Hill

It’s unlikely more than a small fraction of violent offenders got the course, so a random control group could easily be found.
Perhaps this program may be taken over by Astral Aviation Consultants and repurposed.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Gasco have lost CAA infringement course contract. It has been taken over by former CAA employee who has formed Astral Aviation Consulting Ltd.

There are comments Here, on the Flyer Forum to suggest that this contract is just for the previous Gasco Safety Evening presentations, not for the “Infringement Courses”.

I did giggle at the posters comment : “He does have some GA experience as he had a 6th form flying scholarship in the 90s where he gained his PPL before joining the RAF”.

Regards, SD..

Fuji_Abound wrote:

(mind you does this expressly indicate that GASCo has lost the entire contract?).

Hmmm

It always amused me how many people on that site are covert-CAA, covert-NATS, covert-RAF, covert-ex-RAF, covert-Gasco That’s why they can’t allow a decent discussion of the issues. Half the posters would flounce immediately. That’s why they banned me from there about a year ago. Stirred the pot too much

They even had the CAA head CAS bust enforcer on there, for ages. He is back under a new nickname now. Hard to miss; the writing style always gives it away

I would hate to be a mod/admin on a site where there is so much disingenuity. It is bad enough to have had a poster here who posts pics of a great avionics installation which avionics shop XYZ did on his plane, when actually he is working in that shop.

All the time the CAA recruits from the RAF (and similar places, directly and indirectly) they will end up with a large group there which is so tight that you won’t be able to slide a 0.001" feeler gauge in between them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The bigger issue is that ex- RAF doesn’t equal to guarantee more than 1% real world PPL experience.
Even 250hrs pre 2010 doesn’t count now, in my opinion.
If you’re not in the system there’s little understanding of the issues, and little likelyhood to recognise where change is appropriate.
That just leads to regurgitating the rules verbatim. How can that ever lead to positive changes?

United Kingdom

Gasco are apparently not happy about the loss – even if currently it seems they have lost their “safety evenings” and not the “gasco pilot punishment contract”.

I especially like this bit

which is a totally disingenuous reference to their activity processing the pilots sent to them for punishment

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unless I’m mistaken the 7000 relates to the safety evenings, not the punishment courses.

Nobody has to attend a safety evening; that’s entirely the pilots own choice.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

So CAA paid Gasco for GA Safety evenings ? I am confused
They could carry on a paid scheme if their fellowship is so great.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 25 Mar 18:37
LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message