Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I’ve got a response from LIMW which is about as categorical as one can hope to get, that the PDF declaration is all that’s needed. Also one can fly on (as with just a fuel stop) if one wants to. That’s my interpretation, anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sadly it looks like Italy will be joining the UK inbound quarantine list from early on Sunday BBC link

Stapleford, United Kingdom

German restrictions on UK inbounds from certain parts of the UK.

Yes, Italian inbounds in the UK will have to quarantine from Sunday 18th Oct.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess now most countries will for all practical purposes lock up their borders yet again. Which is a logical step, but it means that travelling will be out.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Italy now & Germany next?

At least we can do UK-Crete !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Anyway, an update on my situation – it’s all sorted out now (since the permit was less than 1 year out, my inspector could easily sign it off for the test flight etc., so no problems there), and I had no problem getting my ‘biennial inspection’ (medical) in Leicester, and now I’m home, with a fresh permit and all the maintenance done and signed off – although I do have to self-isolate now.

Andreas IOM

A word of warning for those of you who occasionally need to travel commercial.

As some of you are aware, I need to travel to Bulgaria a few times a year due to family reasons. This fall, the situation was particularly unnerving with the exploding Covid situation. It was totally unclear if Bulgaria would not impose quarantine for us by October 2nd and once there it was the same game of nerves, whether Switzerland would impose quarantine on our return. None of that happened, but it made booking flights difficult.

By the itme we could assume safely not to loose our tickets to a newly imposed quarantine, the direct flights with Bulgaria Air had become viciously expensive. So I decided to take up Lufthansa/Austrian on very attractive fares (About half of what FB were charging). Also we won two days by being able to use their daily services.

October 2nd we travelled from Zurich via Frankfurt to Sofia, Lufthansa both legs. Apart from a four hour layover in FRA, that was very easy and no problems .What we noticed however, deboarding takes about 4 times as long as before, something which would have a profound effect on the return via Vienna.

We had to fill in forms with our contact data, which were collected in Sofia. Frankfurt was about as dead as it gets, thankfully they do have playgrounds all over hte place.

The return, last Sunday turned out into a horrible experience, much worse than anything I have ever seen in over 35 years flying all over.

The critical factor was a for normal conditions absolutely adequate transfer time in Vienna of 60 minutes. This proved to be totally inadequate for the covid driven procedures.

At first, I noticed that the Jet which was supposed to fly Sofia to Vienna had been replaced by a Dash 8. That meant 20 minutes additional flying time. In the end, we landed 5 mins past schedule, which was ok. However, debording with row calls took almost 20 minutes plus the drive to the terminal. There, 15 minutes waiting time at the Schengen immigration and health. From there, I expected to be directed to the departure gate, but nope. you have to pass baggage claim, go OUTSIDE the airside zone, walk to Terminal 3 and redo the whole departure procedure with security and all. By the time the very uncooperative and rude security passed us while confiscating my 4 year old daughters soft toy for reasons only known by themselfs, we had reached departure time, so we ran the whole 500 or so meters to gate f31, where we managed to get on board as the last people admitted, some 20 others did miss the flight.

So if you have to transit with a Non Schengen arrival included, then 1 hour is way too short for comfort, I would think 2 hours should be the minimal connect time, at least at Vienna. I was massively disappointed in the way Vienna has turned out in this times, Covid nonwithstanding, the airline industry should now try to attract people and show service, when they do not.

While I have to say that in these times the best idea is probably to simply stay home, some of us have to travel, so simply be careful out there.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sounds like a covert testament to GA’s utility. Are you taking the C next time? :)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

A great argument to use GA.

tmo wrote:

Sounds like a covert testament to GA’s utility

In July/Aug, I took a train: Eurostar London-Paris & TGV Paris-Nantes, what I horrible experience: delays, cancellations and the 2nd TGV was fully loaded than Mong-Kok as they merged 3 trains !

I went GA next weekend, I hesitated as my aircraft was unserviceable and we had to take a rental, it was worth it with 2h30 with this view

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Oct 15:19
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message