Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Could an Italian speaker please phone up Aosta and ask them what is actually happening?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It may be more authoritative to check in with folk at Milano Bresso? In any event this is changing every day.

PocketFMS isn’t showing a NOTAM for UK arrivals on a route Aosta to Bresso.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 09 Oct 19:32
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I think the situation must be fluid right now since this is very new, but in say a week’s time it should be known clearly.

It is possible that “non airline” or “non main airline” airports like Aosta will not be offering CV19 testing. Let’s face it, a line must be drawn somewhere because Italy has some 4 figure number of grass strips, which one can fly to intra-shengen! It is possible that Italy won’t bother to test arrivals in the smaller places.

Very interesting is that either virus or antibody test is acceptable. The antibody test is much cheaper (£60 for my last one), and if you do it over a webcam you get a certificate More relevantly you can buy it and keep it, and do the test just before your trip to meet the 72hr requirement.

Administrator

I’ve had no more response from Aosta airport and I bet you anything that this testing is not taking place there. It is at “big airline” airports only.

It has to be that way because the new Italian move is NL and BE which are schengen so pilots from there could fly to the smallest of Italian strips directly, and obviously there will be no testing facilities there.

What Italy can do, for any destination in Italy, is require you to get youself tested before travelling. That PDF doesn’t say that, however.

That is, of course, a dangerous situation because if you get some policeman who is in a bad mood, or doesn’t like N-reg, he can do what he wants with you.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Could an Italian speaker please phone up Aosta and ask them what is actually happening?

Glad if I can be of any help .
When are you planning the trip and what exactly do you need to know ?

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

Thank you. I need to know the exact CV19 arrangements there.

Officially, Italy requires arivals to do one of these, AIUI

• having had a test (virus OR antibody) within 72hrs before travelling, OR
  • have a test upon arrival in Italy (which is a huge risk; I don’t suppose the detention will be in a 5 star hotel )

Fairly obviously the 2nd one is not going to be implemented at airports below a certain size.

Aosta just say that PDF posted earlier is the current arrangement i.e. a self declaration. But they could also require the 1st option above (test within preceeding 72hrs).

Also whether they are testing upon departure. For GA that would be pretty pointless but if you test positive and they detain you?

In the UK, you can buy both the virus and the antibody test kit e.g. here although I now see the antibody testing is for a min of 5 people… the old £60 option appears to have largely disappeared, but I found a similar one here. All these are “send to lab” tests; the home tests (supervised over a webcam if you want a certificate) seem to have disappeared.

Administrator

Thanks to a phone call to Aosta by Ormazad above, I have this:

So not anything 100% certain. I have ordered an antibody test and will try to schedule it so the result arrives around hopefully the right time, but this is practically impossible. The only way would be get a (obviously private) drive-in test; not sure these are available.

Does anyone know what sort of place Italy detains people in if they test positive? Logically they could just let you fly your GA plane back home but in this case they clearly aren’t doing testing at the airport. But they might be since they will know you are coming!

Administrator

A further update from the UK Telegraph newspaper, 2 days ago:

Well, yes, obviously you can’t get a test at public expense for a trip But this doesn’t exactly illuminate the situation.

This is the official Italian page. That points to this which states that a “swab” test is required, which is a virus test and not an antibody test.

Administrator

With all the figures exploding all over Europe, travel restrictions and quarantine requirements are bound to spiral similarily out of control..

I guess at the moment, not much can be done to avoid being detained in quarantine but to stay at home.

i shall know next week if I end up in quarantine after 2 weeks in Bulgaria, which was top in terms of figures when we left last week but has, as everyone else, seen a huge increase from an average of 200 cases per day to over 600 last week, which is an all time record. They now have 62 cases per 100k inhabitants over the las 2 weeks, which would be a criterion for putting travellers from here under quarantine. Where we are however, there has been no known case in weeks, they are concentrated to the big cities.

The quarantine gamble is the one most people will base their decisions to travel or not on. And it will be the same if you travel GA or airline.

I personally expect that with the current explosion of case numbers, sooner or later we will be in at least a travel lockdown again, where travel is simply not possible without quarantine in one of the countries involved. Yet, it is quite contradictive to the fact that within countries, were the same criteria applied, travel should be under the same conditions even within countries, or the whole system of quarantine might as well be abolished. It is also highly contradictory, that some countries will accept PCR Tests on arrival instead of quarantine, while others won´t.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

To add to my last post, this is the best option I have found so far.

Obviously it will be a challenge to get a result “within 72 days of the arrival” as Italy is asking for – at bigger airports at least.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message