Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Professional flight schools are remaining open this time in France

LFPN, LFLI, LFPZ

Salim wrote:

Professional flight schools are remaining open this time in France

How is that going to be decided – private companies allowed to trade?

@Ibra I assure you the Lockdown applied as of yesterday regarding establishments being open/closed, however there was to be an understanding for those on holiday for Touissant to be able to return home over the weekend.

Regards, SD..

Good to know, VFR flights probably won’t be as restricted as before.

LFOU, France

New UK restrictions coming on Thursday next week, so probably a good idea to get a nice long flight in, to boil off the water from the oil.

Remember that the latest CAA extension to class rating validity expires around 20th November!

Not much detail out here as yet, but hopefully flying will not be banned so may be possible discreetly (it was never actually banned last time; only the journey to the airport was questionable, and that aspect remains under the new regs announced tonight). It was fairly obvious that the people on the ground would not be happy seeing planes flying, so to minimise hassle for the airport I used to fly only on cloudy days.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Latest view on the UK rules is that outdoor recreation is allowed without a time limit, so airfields can stay open and flying can continue.

The stated precautions on the ground apply re no mixing of people unless living together, which might end flight training. OTOH education generally remains open, so this one remains unclear.

Administrator

Perhaps the few flying schools designated as higher learning institutions can remain open: https://www.gov.uk/check-a-university-is-officially-recognised/listed-bodies

London, United Kingdom

Is this a UK restriction? The CAA have UK Airspace jurisdiction, but the Boris rules are England only.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Some anecdotal evidence on UK quarantine if arriving from abroad:

• A policeman friend told me they only physically check that people are quarantining if Public Health England can’t first contact the person by phone.
  • Commercial flight NL-UK last week: no action
  • Driving FR-UK last week: phonecall from PHE “are you self-isolating?”
  • Driving UK-FR-UK for work (military) once a week during the last UK lockdown: no forms, and never stopped, questioned or checked up on.
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

For sure the UK has not properly enforced any quarantine or self isolating stuff, but one can sort of understand that.

The UK is a rather “free” country with a long tradition of personal freedom. Last time it was invaded was centuries ago – unlike much of mainland Europe where much more recent stuff has been going on. The police are mostly unarmed which has huge implications for the way they go about things. I once heard a gorilla park warden saying how he prefers to not carry a (concealed) gun because the gorillas can tell from his cocky manner if he has got one and they get agitated.

The downside is that when the sh*it hits the fan (like with CV19) it is hard to get any compliance. And the police, who most think (and with much justification) love power and love the arbitrary dispensing of it, don’t want to get involved in deciding whether some gathering is people who are one family, or not.

Someone in Poland told me there they called you at random times, and you had to send them a selfie and your GPS location, and there was a €6k fine if you were not at home. That sort of thing would cause a civil war in the UK.

The UK has had specific issues which should have been avoided. There has been a lot of empire building around the NHS and related activities, so testing was kept centralised and never had the required capacity. The track and trace likewise, and most people just take the pi*ss out of it because if nobody is actually likely to come round, why bother?

Yes; Boris rules are England only.

Administrator

I hear that the DfT (whose head is a GA pilot) has stopped training and tests, apparently. Driver training and tests had already been stopped officially.

I would imagine PPL exams can still be done because they are done at schools around the place, not at the CAA.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message