Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Thankfully, in Germany, business mostly as usual. Yesterday, Egelsbach was hooving (just renewed my FI).

Some airfields and airports are restricting opening hours again, request PPR, or close completely. But overall, not too bad. Flying schools, both commercial and not, can remain open.

Just BTW, first time flying a 152 again, after 6 years or so. It remains amazing what a clever design this was, making it such a money maker for clubs and schools. No wonder these are now advertised at 70-90k, even if they all have >10k hours.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Same in France (where aeroclubs got a special agreement with the DGAC for engine runs, but private owners could not)

As private owner, I don’t think anyone can stop you running your engine flight in France in lockdown 2.0 (or lockdown 1.0, but you till have to sort out the journey to the airfield, which may deem unnecessary or unjustified to the average policeman, irrespective of what me, you and DGAC thinks), actually, in this lockdown all Aeroclub activity is officially closed completely, including maintenance flights (they are not allowed anything as lockdown 2.0 is expected to be short), it’s only commercial schools that are operating at the moment plus some private owners or AoC holders who have their own reasons to fly: I was surprised by the amount of training flights and inbound bizjet traffic to Cannes (LFMD) last weekend, I don’t think most of the latter did fall under “Macron return from vacation leeway”

In UK, it does not matter whatever one think they are entitled to or what the law says, the final say on the flight is in the hand of airfield managers (I think it’s was easier to deal with police in this regards), some are inclined to follow on-site school/restaurant schedules, if these are closed then maintenance/fuel/runway are to be closed…

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Nov 11:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Kirkbride is Cumbria

Sorry – what a silly thing to forget, having just been there

Flying schools, both commercial and not, can remain open.

The UK DfT guidance to close only noncommercial schools is strange and probably wholly based on politics of envy. The UK was having a lot of problems with regional lockdowns, because people much prefer for everybody else to be in the same sh*it as they are – even if it is pointless. I don’t think a PPL FI is flying with a bigger range of people than a CPL/IR FI. What may be true is that the age profile of CPL/IR students is much lower than that of PPL students, and the former are less likely to get seriously ill (although they are equally likely to be infectious and thus equally likely to endanger the instructor).

In UK, it does not matter whatever one think they are entitled to or what the law says, the final say on the flight is in the hand of airfield managers (I think it’s was easier to deal with police in this regards), some are inclined to follow on-site school/restaurant schedules, if these are closed then maintenance/fuel/runway are to be closed…

Yes; exactly. It was very obvious in lockdown mk1 that the lack of cafe business (and the lack of fuel sales tied wholly to the “burger runs”) was the reason for airfield closure. I hope that any owner who has options will have moved out of any such airfield.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m surprised Kirkbride is closed. Was it fuel you needed?

It was to be a delivery flight. I fly to Kirkbride, where hangarage was arranged, new owner picks her up and flies home to Dunkeswell..
If Kirkbride had been still open, I was considering options for subsequent escape back across the border.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Apparently AOPA Austria has communicated, that private flights in Austria are now banned due to the lockdown.

I’d like to link to the article, but currently the site appears down.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Oh dear, our hearts go out to you. At least mine, because I hear some pilots here to quite respect the lockdown and work on their planes

First minister here just acknowledged that they went from too much lockdown to too little this summer, and that they will be more cautious this time.
Keep bars and gatherings closed, and let us fly !!

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

because I hear some pilots here to quite respect the lockdown and work on their planes

So you are saying that the current French Law allows you to travel to your hangar and work on your aeroplane? Im pretty sure that going to your hangar is the actual problem wrt flying an aeroplane here, not the actual flying, which isnt actually banned…

Now, I personally dont see the problem with going to your hangar and working on your aeroplane or flying solo or flying with someone you live with or driving 10-15mins to go walking on the beach or… (insert any activity you do by yourself, especially if outside)…. The BIG difference between this lockdown here in France and the previous one is that I have not in the last 2 weeks seen a Gendarme stopping anyone anywhere and asking for their papers. Last time I was stopped every time bar one time whenever I went out and I felt very uncomfortable about the whole process.

Regards, SD..

No, I meant some pilots “misunderstood” the law and go to the airfield despite is being illegal. It is a controlled field so flying would be too obvious
I absolutely agree that driving/walking with household members should be allowed and it makes us crazy, but you now the French

There are few police checks but this time I am in Paris and I saw some. Don’t want to risk the fine.

LFOU, France

It’s quite funny… I have been trying to ask the local police a Q about the law, and they don’t seem to know:

1) Would your officers require a GAR / PHE to be filed if someone flew into the airspace of another country but never touched the ground?
2) Would a quarantine be required?

Reply:

Further to your email below I would refer you to the government website regarding General Aviation and have provided the link for you to be able to check.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation/coronavirus-covid-19-general-aviation

(which doesn’t contain the info afaict)

Currently, the guidelines state that you can fly only for justifiable reasons, not for pure fun.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message