Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

From the back of a fag packet the UK rate over the last week is 60 cases/hundred thousand inhabitants, based on 41 thousand cases and a population of 67.9 million.

So nearly ten per cent of all known UK cases have been in the last week.

London, United Kingdom

Interesting!

(9) During the period of their self-isolation, P may not leave, or be
outside of, the place where P is self-isolating except—
(a) to travel in order to leave England, provided that they do so directly,

I wonder how that might be useful for flying to the UK, doing some “quick job” and flying out again.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One can travel in and out of the IOM, by getting a special permission. I know a guy who does it periodically.

You can only get that permission if you are one of (a) a resident, (b) a key worker, (c) never leave area Mike at Ronaldsway.

The Government has made it quite clear to us that it doesn’t consider aircraft inspectors as key workers.

Andreas IOM

I suppose that if the UK LAA wanted to be even minimally helpful and responsive to the needs of its members, it would devise a protocol to release permit aircraft for a solo ferry flight to the mainland on the basis of an owner-completed check and remote (video) inspection by an authorised LAA inspector…

Talking of the LAA and its much-vaunted inspection regime, can anyone hazard a guess as to what this 12.5 mm jobber drill bit was doing inside the left hand main gear axle of an LAA permit aeroplane maintained and inspected by an EASA PART M and BCAR approved aircraft maintenance company?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

There are ferry permits available (which is almost certainly how we’re going to do it) but we still have the issue of now we need a permit to test (round trip time via the LAA, by post only) then the permit to fly once the inspection is complete (round trip via the LAA, by post only) before we can bring the plane back – so basically we have about a day and a half’s work to do with the inspection, but probably 10 days twiddling our thumbs waiting for the LAA to turn around paperwork. Doing it in 2 trips means a month of house arrest, doing it in one trip means only 2 weeks of house arrest, but the risk of getting stuck in England during a lockdown where we can’t get a hotel room anywhere near our inspector’s airfield (as most of them are likely closed), can’t stay with friends, and only have camping at the airfield as an option, which won’t be very comfortable in October!

To add to this, I also have to get my FAA medical done, which also has to be done in England since the only AME here died a couple of years ago (we don’t even have an EASA AME here now). Then my BFR runs out in March which means another trip across and as I see nothing changing by then with COVID, another 2 weeks of house arrest (unless our ferry permit trip happens in October, and by some miracle I can find a CFI who isn’t locked down).

Our gliders are stuck in a similar situation. We were considering putting them on a trailer and sending them over on the ferry unaccompanied, but we’ve run into problems there, too.

Last Edited by alioth at 02 Oct 08:56
Andreas IOM

That sounds horrible.

I wonder how Guernsey and Alderney are doing it – they are also almost totally closed to the outside world, although one can fly between them and the IOM. There are lots of GA pilots based there.

Fortunately I managed to reval my FAA medical in April (a seriously hazardous process especially given the particular location, but with the FAA offering no extensions then, I had no option) and my BFR isn’t due until May. Not that I think things will be much different then.

Administrator

Our recent LAA Permit was received by email two days after posting, in a Moray village, – likely issued on the day they received the application.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

can anyone hazard a guess as to what this 12.5 mm jobber drill bit was doing inside the left hand main gear axle of an LAA permit aeroplane maintained and inspected by an EASA PART M and BCAR approved aircraft maintenance company?

Do tell.

Something on the TV today highlighted a risk in GA flying.

There are quite a lot of people sitting in various countries, locked up in quarantine centres. They either got ill abroad, or got tested prior to boarding a flight back to the UK.

In the GA context, I guess nobody will be doing a CV19 test on you, but they may well do a temperature test on your way through the airport, if you are having to pass through a passenger route (which you do, at a lot of bigger airports).

Then you get grabbed and put away somewhere, probably in some hotel, until they see two negative CV19 tests. And some people have problems with that because even a dead virus will show up positive. Could be many weeks…

There is a lot of advantage in using an airport which has a GA entrance gate, or where you can walk through an aeroclub.

Administrator

Jacko wrote:

Talking of the LAA and its much-vaunted inspection regime, can anyone hazard a guess as to what this 12.5 mm jobber drill bit was doing inside the left hand main gear axle of an LAA permit aeroplane maintained and inspected by an EASA PART M and BCAR approved aircraft maintenance company?

I’d say it was used as a locator/alignment aid and then someone forgot to remove it?

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message