Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I have no idea about medical…

LFMD, France

Compton Abbas EGHA airfield closed due to the virus. Statement here. To me it looks like it is really a staffing issue, because the DfT has stated flying is allowed, and going solo (or with a family member etc) is obviously safe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To me it looks like it is really a staffing issue

We’ll see more of this. Today most of the US East Coast was partially shut down / slowed down because someone in the NY ARTCC tested positive. It’s a mess.

I’d have thought staying open with nil / minimum staff and having an honesty box perhaps for those that want to drop in might help them a bit more than just shutting down totally. Even if it’s not a lot it is more than 0.

I’ve been to Compton Abbas (years ago) and I can see why they did it, and it is nothing to do with “flying”. The place is in the middle of nowhere (unless you fly to do country walks) so people fly there to eat in the very busy cafe. With the cafe shut by govt order (well, takeaways are allowed which enables the obvious ever so slightly imaginative solution in the form of, ahem, paper plates etc) few will want to fly there, and they probably don’t want a load of people congregating in groups in the cafe area.

Also with no cafe, their income plummets so why open?

Re honesty boxes, there is a general view among UK airfield management that they don’t work because too many pilots prefer to keep the money

Administrator

Following advice from the BGA, our local gliding club has suspended all activity for the duration.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Same here in Germany… flying clubs are advised to stop all flying activity, even model flying.

EDSO, Germany

Peter

“However, under the current circumstances and the risks posed by Coronavirus, our Director of Public Health has issued strong advice that there should be no travel to or from the Bailiwick unless it is essential.
With this in mind I wonder if I could respectfully ask if your trip is essential or if it could be postponed to a later date?

The funny thing is that it was sent after I got airborne”

Whilst this notice arrived after you departed, you did post this the day before:

“Channel Islands closing down

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE:
Before flying to Alderney/Guernsey please check the latest government travel advice/instructions here.
As of 16th March arrivals from France, Spain and other nations must self isolate on arrival.
Guernsey government has stated that “It is very likely that a decision will be made during this week, to move to a point where anyone entering the Bailiwick will be requested to self-isolate for 14 days regardless of any symptoms or point of origin” This will include the UK.”

So my questions are this: was the trip to Alderney so necessary bearing in mind what you posted the day before and secondly what was it that made it so urgent knowing how critical the situation was?

Speaking of allegedly unnecessary trips, who did I see sitting in the Departures “lounge”, with his Mrs?

I’ve seen your pretty offensive post on the principal UK GA chat / beat ’em up site. I would not call you what you called me, because it would breach the Guidelines here.

Oh another thing, nearly forgot. The virus is not passed on by flying, or by walking down a deserted country lane.

Less posturing would be good, old chap. However I fully appreciate that old habits die hard.

Administrator

I think we are mostly all expecting this to carry on for some time and taking care is the thing to do. Surely we should be about managing risk sensibly. I think an individual flying in their own aircraft to and airfield and back having the minimum number of interactions possible suitably distanced is no great risk and allows one to have a bit of enjoyment.

I’m lucky that as long as I can get deliveries of bits and pieces I’ve plenty of projects to keep me going for many months. However, I did pop out flying the other day and it was glorious.

Sign in to add your message