Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Fly-In Survey

Isn't that a bit too UK-centric? I would agree if a majority of candidates were from UK, but am under the impression that most interest as yet is from Germany.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The form for entering your preferences suggests that one should have

• Customs
  • Avgas
  • Instrument approach
  • An alternate within easy public transport range

Not having Customs will make it a hassle for UK pilots to get there, especially given that most will have to stay overnight (due to early airport closing hours in most cases) so the two extra landings will put many/most people off.

Personally I also feel fairly strongly that we should meet up in a "nice" place, rather than just some airport cafe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

we should meet up in a "nice" place, rather than just some airport cafe.

Yes of course - but "nice" would not be the same to everybody. Actually I think the Portoroz airfield a very nice place, though there is not much to see, and less to do, but for the airport cafe.

Still, in a vote on the current list, Portoroz would be a "red" for me - prohibitively far away, that is to say at least two days of stiff flying each way. And who can count on two consecutive days of good flying weather, even if giving the Alps a wide berth? And two more for the trip home?

If the poll shows up, I should like to have four categories, none restricted in numbers:

-) GREEN: absolute favourite(s)

-) YELLOW acceptable, i.e. not perfect but still quite doable

-) ORANGE: don't fancy, but not impossible

-) RED: absolutely excluded - either for legal or practical reasons

So how to define our ideal "nice" place? The Technikmuseum at Speyer could weigh in heavy, for me. But I am afraid we cannot afford to insist on "nice" - if we can find an "acceptable to all", i.e. RED for nobody, it will be a solid achievement.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan, what would we do if we had place A that had 49 Green votes and 1 single Red, and place B had 50 Yellow or even 50 Orange? We could assign positive points for Green and Yellow, nil for Orange and negative for Red, but it would only work well if people rated all of the options. At the moment there are over 20, so that's not likely to happen.

Because of the distances involved we're never going to find a place that is do-able for everyone - after all we have quite a few users from North America and Australia.

Unless anyone can come up with a foolproof voting system I think we'll probably just be doing a simple "vote for any you find acceptable" and the place with the most votes wins. If the chosen field isn't suitable for a particular aircraft type hopefully members can help each other out by ferrying in from nearby more suitable fields - perhaps a light jet pilot gets a ride in a microlight or vice versa.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I have added Karlovy Vary LKKV. I've never been there, but someone suggested it to me as an excellent destination for a weekend.

Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad in English) is a beautiful city, located in the Bohemian. Grass and hard runway. ILS equipped. Has customs.

There is a hotel next to the airport which rents chalets -> Hotel Chalet Veitsberg-Vitkova Hora.

LKKV is less friendly and more expensive than LKVO, and it is a active public international airport with the usual security implications. Also, it has a quirky weather because of the hills around - it isn't rare to see OVC there and CAVOK throughout the rest of Czech Republic, or vice versa. The town itself is a little piece of Austro-Hungarian Empire - beautiful but a bit boring.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

This is just to bump the thread back to the top.

David and I will soon switch the survey to a "voting for your favourite from the list" mode, so now is your last chance to nominate your favourite locations.

HERE

Administrator

Do we have a winner yet?

United Kingdom

Any date fixed yet?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

We are knocking together a voting form for the previously nominated airports, so people will be able to vote for the one(s) they want to fly to.

I also did a rudimentary check on each one for customs, avgas, vfr/ifr.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message