Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

The same chart from Jeppesen Mobile Flite Deck VFR

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Could someone who is using FF regularly for IFR flying in Europe report their experience with it? The inclusion of the new Jeppesen data sources makes it very tempting, so I’d be curious how well it works in practice, especially things like Autorouter integration, flight plan filing, weather depiction etc.

There’s no Autorouter integration, and the routes proposed don’t work. FPL filing works ok but you can’t edit your FLP at EOBT-30. Weather depiction is great, as is the map, best in class for readability, although in Europe the airspace altitudes are not accessible without a click yet. They’re putting in a lot of work to make it work in Europe but they’re not quite there for the time being, it feels to me at least.

EGTF, LFTF

What is the benefit of Autorouter integration, when you can get the user interface working on a phone, and you have to carry the phone anyway. Or on a tablet… It would seem to me that the more important integration is the transfer of the finished route into a panel mounted GPS, and I am not sure there is a direct transfer currently in any context (one that doesn’t involve copy/paste from Autorouter to the tablet app which talks to the avionics via bluetooth).

With VFR it is different (EVFR or SD) because most pilots create a route via rubber-banding around CAS. This is very convenient, even though it does create the weird flight plans which ATC complain about (some recent threads on that) because the flight plan is a load of lat/long coordinates

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

denopa wrote:

There’s no Autorouter integration, and the routes proposed don’t work. FPL filing works ok but you can’t edit your FLP at EOBT-30. Weather depiction is great, as is the map, best in class for readability, although in Europe the airspace altitudes are not accessible without a click yet. They’re putting in a lot of work to make it work in Europe but they’re not quite there for the time being, it feels to me at least.

I think EOBT problem has now been fixed but am not in Europe to check. Autorouter packs let you click a link and put the route into the map. Filing in Europe works very well for me including the proposed routes. This may be due to the altitudes you are flying at.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Nov 00:21
EGTK Oxford

That’s interesting. For Fairoaks – Amsterdam, the only route proposed is DAGGA IFR OTBAP BARMI which FF itself notes is Eurocontrol invalid. Do you get something that works?

EGTF, LFTF

I have to take the decision today as to whether to go ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot or JeppFD/SkyDemon for a new aircraft with GTN/G600/Connext.

The aircraft will fly through all corners of Europe, possibly North African Coast, but not likely to do more than that. Mostly IFR but a good chunk of VFR as well.

What would the panel do, if the decision had to be taken today?

Last Edited by Timothy at 14 Nov 08:38
EGKB Biggin Hill

I personally would use SkyDemon and get the IFR plates separately.

For the Connext stuff and some North African countries, Garmin Pilot would be best but I wouldn’t use it for European VFR.

Given that small amounts of money aren’t an issue for the owner, is there an argument for using GP for IFR and SD for VFR?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Garmin Pilot with Jepp plates for IFR, take your pick for VFR

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message