Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Peter wrote:

More recently Jepp introduced a single-device price of 0.9k for all of political Europe. My guess is that is what you are seeing at $889.

Not quite. The ForeFlight subscription is for one ipad, one iphone, plus one ipad as “backup”. I suspect that means that you can’t have both ipads on-line/logged-in at the same time, but still need confirmation. The answer might be in the FF FAQ’s.

One could argue that an iphone isn’t a useful device for charts, but a 6+ isn’t bad as an alternative and can still be zoomed.

LSZK, Switzerland

One advantage of ForeFlight is that it is now supported by autorouter and an autorouter FPL can be transferred directly to FF. I’m not sure but don’t think that can be done with Jepp FD. Also FF can sync with my Avidyne IFD, so I can get an autorouter FPL into my Avidyne panel-mount via FF… cool.

LSZK, Switzerland

All three devices doing anything simultaneously is not an issue with Foreflight, at least not that I’ve noticed.

I’ve found that an iPhone running Foreflight is surprisingly uncompromised relative to an iPad Mini, especially when mounted not too far away, viewed with reading glasses in my case, and running in shade so it appears brighter. Recently in my spaced constrained puddle jumper I’ve been flying with my iPhone as primary, versus backup. It’s worked fine.

The ForeFlight subscription is for one ipad, one iphone, plus one ipad as “backup”. I suspect that means that you can’t have both ipads on-line/logged-in at the same time, but still need confirmation

It would be truly amazing if they allowed concurrent use of three devices if Jepp data is installed, because you could “lend” the other two to others and recover 2/3 of your cost. The whole of Europe would be €300/year…

Currently this is possible (3/4 recovery) with the traditional four-device subscription and lots of people do this, €700/year, but there are different views on whether this complies with the Jepp conditions.

Yet, they can’t simply enforce the use on only one of the three devices because the enforcement of a floating license (in a travelling-user scenario) requires internet access, which you may not always have. You may not have it because there is genuinely no wifi or mobile data, or because you have disabled connectivity deliberately in order to be able to work this cost sharing scheme. Yet you probably do want internet connectivity for getting wx and notams etc on the device… So, on a rooted device, you could leave connectivity in place but (with a firewall or just with a “hosts” file) block access to Jeppesen’s servers. That in turn would lead Jepp to implement self-shutdown if connectivity has not been seen for a specified time. Blocking internet access in this way is completely standard practice with cracked software (arguably it is good practice with legit software too)… so Jepp would have to block operation on rooted devices (which I believe they already do, on those of their products which run on Android, because Android is much easier and less long-term hassle to root than IOS). And everybody knows this of course… which is one reason Jepp are moving from Windows to IOS as fast as they can.

Personally I would not want a device which needs regular internet access in order to function, unless the self-shutdown regime is totally transparent.

With any current Jepp subscription there is a means of transferring the license from one device to another, but it needs internet connectivity at the time, and you quite probably won’t have that when you need to move to the backup

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

All three devices doing anything simultaneously is not an issue with Foreflight, at least not that I’ve noticed.

Same here, I routinely run the iPad and the iPhone concurrently (albeit not normally the second iPad).

Peter wrote:

It would be truly amazing if they allowed concurrent use of three devices if Jepp data is installed, because you could “lend” the other two to others and recover 2/3 of your cost. The whole of Europe would be €300/year…

The Jepp plates can only be used in one application of FF unless you have more than one licence. The navdata etc comes with the app and appears in multiple places.

EGTK Oxford

While “lending” Jepp devices from a 4-device Jepp subscription seems attractive, it does reduce or depending on number sharing even eliminate any backup. I’ve finally dropped paper charts and prefer the principle of a backup device over using paper as backup. I have a backup device anyway for the apps I use, so there is no additional h/w investment. I save all the time I previously spent printing out charts and the extra paper weight and don’t kill as many trees. As a result, I don’t use JeppView anymore as it was only for printing so I find the FF 3-device solution reasonable.

Comparison:
Jepp quotation for 4-licence JeppView and JeppFD incl IFR/VFR Europe charts, terrain, obstacles, and navdata for my Avidyne IFD’s -- >€1’900
FF subscription @ total $1’089/€920 incl Jepp IFR/VFR Europe charts plus Jepp IFD navdata @ €344 -- €1’264

The only things missing from the FF solution are the terrain and obstacle subscriptions and charts on my IFD’s….. for a price difference of over €600. I don’t consider having charts on my IFD’s is worth €600/yr when I can have them on 3x FF i-thingy’s.

JasonC wrote:

The Jepp plates can only be used in one application of FF unless you have more than one licence.

Jason, what do you mean by “application of FF”? One FF licence does allow 3 installed instances of FF as mentioned above….. ipad, iphone, backup ipad. I now maintain Europe Jepp IFR plates on all three with one licence.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Jason, what do you mean by “application of FF”? One FF licence does allow 3 installed instances of FF as mentioned above….. ipad, iphone, backup ipad. I now maintain Europe Jepp IFR plates on all three with one licence.

I have two instances of FF but a single install Jepp sub. It won’t allow me to install the jepp plates on two devices. That is what I meant.

EGTK Oxford

Ah, so your Jepp sub is direct with them then and you’ve linked FF to your Jepp single-install sub? Mine is with FF …. i.e. I ordered the Jepp coverage from FF, so I get the 3 devices as part of my FF licence.

LSZK, Switzerland

JasonC wrote:

The Jepp plates can only be used in one application of FF unless you have more than one licence. The navdata etc comes with the app and appears in multiple places

Jason,

That is correct if you are using one of your existing purchases of Jeppesen support or if you have Jeppesen approach charts on your panel. In either of these cases, you use up one seat per device. So to have Jeppesen on more than one device, you need to use multiple seats. With a panel installation, it comes with four seats.

If you purchase Jeppesen thru ForeFlight, then all three ForeFlight devices are included.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message