Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

My first impressions are rather positive except on the frequencies (lot of duplicate entries with some variations on the descriptions) in the app (on the web it seems fine)…
eg frequencies are quite overwhelming (eg EBCI) – it would make sense to provide additional information (eg main frequency, backup, …) + all frequencies duplicated (?!)
some wrong frequencies (eg EBOS ATIS is126,125 and not 127,125), for the frequency of my homebase (EBGB) there is one which does not make sense (only info – Grimbergen Radio is on 119,5, I have no clue what 123,3 is).

For the rest it seems very nice… looking forward for a flight with it.

Anyhow I have submitted my feedback to FF. I am also wondering by when the remaining AIPs will be integrated.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

AngelaAnderson wrote:

the UK AIP is very close to ready.

I’m seeing the UK AIP already, weird

EGTF, LFTF

@denopa I think maybe you are on Beta team? If so, that may be why you are seeing the UK AIP (cc: @jasonC )

Houston, TX (KIWS), United States

Ah! Thanks.

EGTF, LFTF

@AngelaAnderson do you have any visibility on timing of when these “coming soon” items will become available to all users? Not sure if it makes sense to hold off till then…

EGSX

@TimR I don’t have a specific date for when they will become available, however, we will be demonstrating UK and France coverage at the High Wycombe event this week. Soon = very soon. I’ll see if I can get something firmer from the data team.

Houston, TX (KIWS), United States

Today I made a flight from EDDS to EDKB. It was a 1 hour flight so enough time to compare Foreflight with Jeppsen Mobile Flightdeck VFR in action.

First: The charts of Jeppesen are much better to read. The contrast of the colours are straight forward readable. I tried all the possibilities in Foreflight, but it doens‘t reach the Jeppesen Charts. It is as good as GarminPilot.

Second: On the Jeppesen Charts you could immediately see elevation, minimum save altitude above highest obstacles in the aera and the hight of obstacles. To get this in Foreflight you have to tap on the icons and you will see.

Third: Foreflight connected itself directly with the Flightstream 510. Great. Also changes on the GTN were immediately transfered to ForeFlight. Great, no hassles at all.

Fourth: The way Foreflight handles the VRPs is hortble. I put the VRP Echo of EDDS into the GTN manually. The Foreflight route was updated with the Point HADC. Arround 2000 nm away. Not a nice thing.

Conclusion after first flight: There is very much to improve for Foreflight until it will be a serious alternative to Jeppesen an Garmin. As I have to renew my Jeppesen Mobile Flightdeck next month, I won‘t change at the moment. I hope they will improve quickly, because to fly with one app instead of Jeppesen Mobile Flightdeck VFR and Garmin Pilot (it depends on mission and flightrules which app I do use) would be great.

I would immediately go for Foreflight if they would implement the ADL weather of Sebastian in the app. I think Jeppesen and Garmin will never reach this point.

EDDS , Germany

Just tried the demo version and first things I noticed are that I cannot seem to find TMA and Info frequencies, charts are very bad to be used as plain VFR charts without GPS, and airspace NOTAMs are not drawn. There is a long way for foreflight to go before it can compete with SkyDemon in Europe. I feel it is still very US-centric.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

I feel it is still very US-centric.

Nope. It’s IFR-centric, just as SD is VFR-centric.

Dimme wrote:

There is a long way for foreflight to go before it can compete with SkyDemon in Europe.

There’s also a long way for SD to go before it can compete with FF for IFR in Europe.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 14 Jun 00:02
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Right now I am regretting buying FF – as a VFR planner I am finding it close to useless and I am struggling a bit to see the advantage over Garmin Pilot for plain low level IFR

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message