Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Stay tuned,

Thanks for getting back to the community on acknowledging feedback! One additional feature that would be useful would be to have an option to disable airspace above/below a certain FL similar to what GP does. In some countries where airspace is relatively simple this isn’t a huge deal but somewhere like the UK where it’s all over the show it would be helpful to only see what’s relevant (with the rest actually not shown at all vs. faded).

Last Edited by TimR at 19 Jul 20:45
EGSX

I thought you could do that in the IOS version (which I have not tested), and only the web version could not declutter…

Without altitude based map declutter the product is near-useless for VFR and that applies to all of Europe really. Much French airspace is virtually unreadable and “works” only because ATC clear you through (well, normally). Belgium is similar. In the USA you probably don’t need it because the airspace structure is clearer and more consistent.

My personal wish list is as follows:

1) Fly-by waypoints in the autorouting function
2) The web version needs to be more or less fully usable (preflight planning is so much easier on a PC)
3) Various small details e.g. the actual flight plan string needs to be accessible

Other stuff e.g. integrated briefing I am not so worried about but that’s because I have been doing that for 18 years and know where to find it. Most pilots will go for an integrated product every time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I thought you could do that in the IOS version (which I have not tested), and only the web version could not declutter…

To my understanding there is only a function called “Auto Highlight” which de-emphasizes non-relevant airspace by making it a lighter blue/orange/purple.

An example; a short hop from EGKB to EGSH at FL70 will show (in a light blue, i.e. de-emphasized) TRA003 from FL195-FL245…. totally useless. There needs to be an option of completely turning off airspace above certain altitudes (as per GP).

This is extremely irritating especially when flying VFR. If someone knows a solution please do share!

Last Edited by TimR at 19 Jul 22:24
EGSX

Here’s the airspace auto highlight function. For those that know the airspace, I set the route altitude at 3000ft.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

OK… there needs to be a feature to completely hide all airspace above x thousand feet.

One problem with that is that if e.g. you set it to hide all above 3000ft, and then climb through 3000ft, the decluttering level has to be gradually lifted, but you cannot do this properly because you don’t know the pressure (QNH); you have only GPS altitude which should be closely equivalent to the local QNH but is no good for dealing with CAS whose base is specified as a FL. There are some well used solutions to this; basically you offer a user config for altitude calibration where you set the QNH so the current FL can be derived (well, I think so). But this is quite a deviation for an app which doesn’t need any of this for US airspace. I think FF will just have to implement a “European Mode” config item

We did this before, probably in this thread. Misconfigured declutter is a very common user error in the existing tablet apps.

How does GP do this?

Separately, it needs a config to hide airways but retain airway intersections, because these are often used for VFR flights, as convenient waypoints.

Administrator

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Here’s the airspace auto highlight function. For those that know the airspace, I set the route altitude at 3000ft.

Always good to know about the class C airspace from FL245-FL660 when bumbling around Gatwick airspace at 3000ft

EGSX

Peter,

When you say Flight planning is so much easier from a PC, I’m not sure I agree with that. Maybe it’s because you compare it with your Android experience? Time to give in and buy an iPad

EGTF, LFTF

Not really because I would have to buy an Iphone also, so I can do stuff like delaying the FP. Been there, done that, never again. That’s another 1000 quid, too. Also android works just as well as ios – it comes down to what you need to run the apps you need to use. The days of Apple products being so much slicker ended c. 2015, but in GA the ~ 10:1 marketing lead has been retained.

This is just my input, of course. But I know many others who use a PC at home rather than “living on” an Iphone and an Ipad both of which are great for today’s “instant messaging driven” life but are horrid for typing any reasonable amount of text properly. These people, whose life involves email and other text-based activities, much prefer a PC (or a laptop) but don’t write it on forums because, traditionally, in most places, they get beaten up Even here, I got beaten up by one chap, for using an android phone with the ADL150, because 95% of ADL users are ios

I can see where FF is coming from. The US flying scene is different and needs a lot less functionality. Look at how none of the few hundred TB20/21 owners out there has discovered the 12500ft planning ceiling. Even their VFR charts don’t need decluttering. Obviously I am not expecting FF to do an android version. I just wish the web version was improved. The web user interface runs well on any modern PC or laptop (i5 or higher) and really zooms along on my XPS13-9360 (QC i7). But actually it seems the main features for Europe are missing in both versions. And I have no info on beta features.

Administrator

TimR wrote:

Thanks for getting back to the community on acknowledging feedback! One additional feature that would be useful would be to have an option to disable airspace above/below a certain FL similar to what GP does. In some countries where airspace is relatively simple this isn’t a huge deal but somewhere like the UK where it’s all over the show it would be helpful to only see what’s relevant (with the rest actually not shown at all vs. faded).

Noted. We have received this feedback elsewhere as well and so i’ll make sure to add your vote. Keep the feedback flowing.

Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Emir wrote:

I purchased FF Performance Plus subscription. Not impressed too much with “performance” options – AR has it all. Basically, I had to enter all performance data manually, nothing in “database” was useful.

Hi @Emir, we would like the opportunity to walk you through a Performance demo and make sure you are set up properly. Would you DM me with your email so we can coordinate from there?

Last Edited by at 20 Jul 14:52
Houston, TX (KIWS), United States
Sign in to add your message