Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

The routing engine is mysterious. Sometimes going back a step and routing again gives completely different options (the same also happens when changing altitude options).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi @emir,

Can you send me a direct message with the email address you used to write in so I can track down the case in our system and have someone else from the team review it so we can get answer.

Thank you sir,
Josh

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Hi @chflyer,

Appreciate the insight and we have future plans to enhance the base map with more place labels and names of elevation points as well. Both are currently in work. The speed of loading the street layer is because it’s pulling direct from a data connection and is not downloaded to the device – this is true for the aerial layer as well.

Josh

KGTU, United States

How does that work then when there is no data connection, such as in flight?

LSZK, Switzerland

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

we have future plans to enhance the base map with more place labels and names of elevation points as well

I hope you are planning on improving the whole map itself too – not just adding additional names and labels.

Could you give us a rough estimate on the timeframe? Are we talking weeks? months? a year?

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Hi @chflyer,

The only way those layers worked today is if they are viewed before a flight and are cached to the device. The best thing to do is to zoom view your entire area of flying and zoom in all the way to ensure that you get the map at all zoom levels. This is not guaranteed to work though again as they are meant to be used while on the ground. We do have plans to look at how this may be available offline in the future.

Thanks,
Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi @supersonic,

We have continuous work planned for the map. I’m just highlighting the request that both those items are in work, just like we have projects for adding smaller fields and the ability to route to visual reporting points in work as well. Now one thing to take into account when I say base map – this is not including the aeronautical layer. Base map is the water, land, urban areas, place labels, points of interest, cables, peaks, etc. Aeronautical refers to the map elements that are visible with the Aeronautical layer enabled – airports, airspace, waypoints, navaids, etc. I think all the items I mentioned will be in the first few months next year, but please keep in mind that we are working on adding data globally so we have a larger area to test and this often adds more complexity.

Thanks,
Josh

KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

I think all the items I mentioned will be in the first few months next year, but please keep in mind that we are working on adding data globally so we have a larger area to test and this often adds more complexity.

Well, that makes sense. Thanks for the insights and your continued support :-)

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

Josh Thank you, I received feedback from teamforeflight.com:
"
The Special Use Airspace does not get hidden using the ‘Hide Airspace’ feature. Regular airspace areas are removed that meet the altitude criteria selected, however. You can use the settings (gear) on Map and turn off the SUA, as well.
"

From my point of view, it isn’t helpful to deactivate SUA’s with the button in menu, because the lower SUA’s are also hidden. The lower SUA’s (e.g. below FL 100) are relevant for my flight, the upper SUA’s aren’t relevant.
Maybe FF can improve this like the feature of hiding airspace above a specific altitude?

Regards,
Matt

EDQH, Germany

Hi @Matt82,

Can you send me a direct message with your email address you used to write in – just want to check out the case? SUAs should get hidden using the Hide Airspace Above feature so it’s a bit strange. Now what it may be doing is struggling with certain airspace limits and that’s what I really want to dig in on.

We will get this figured out,
Josh

KGTU, United States
Sign in to add your message