Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

No, they are in England too. Cruise control is a godsend when passing through one.

EGLM & EGTN

We have them her too, all tunnels between Trondheim city and ENVA have them (length between 2km to 4.2km)… but I’ve seen longer sections too in other area of Norway. I saw them also in France.

ENVA, Norway

Airborne_Again wrote:

The only exception is when the police put up temporary speed cameras, but these would not – for obvious reasons – be in a database anyway

As a data point, in Poland we also have official street signs warning of stationary speed cameras, as well as areas where average speed over a distance is measured.

Temporary speed cameras show up on dedicated apps, as well as most navigation apps, crowd sourced, I hear it works well. I don’t drive enough to know.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Maoraigh wrote:

Is Scotland the only country with Average Speed Camera systems?

Austria has some of these as well.

In Germany according to current jurisdiction such systems are illegal for data protection reasons: To make them work, the police needs to store the license plates and time/date of cars passing by the beginning of the section. According to German legal reasoning, however, at this point in time does not know if you are really speeding and therefore there is no legitimate reason to store this personal data (even if it automatically is deleted at the end of the section for those cars which have not been too fast.

Germany

Airborne_Again wrote:

he forbid the use of the ILS’s available there in order to “appease” the Germans
What does that mean!?

That has just been a potshot on an old Swiss/German dispute. The Swiss authorities consciously designed certain approaches to Zurich airport in a way that as much as possible of the noise is created over German territory – and the Swiss population (esp. in the rich parts of Zurich) are protected from noise as much as possible. (Not an uncommon practice between nations if you look at where many power plants are built…).
In a time before GPS-approaches that had implications up to a point that they build an ILS only for the approach above Germany while the approach to the runway where the flightpath is above Swiss territory only did get an VOR/DME.

Around the turn of the century – with traffic numbers at Zurich airport still increasing – there have been intense negotiations between the two countries to limit the noise burden on German territory. This lead to the agreement that during certain night times the approach over Germany should be avoided if weather allowed. That, however, had the implication that during these nighttimes the approaching traffic could only use the VOR/DME approach and no ILS.

In this situation a pilot (that had a track record of errors, reckless behavior, etc.) failed to go around although in IMC below the MDA and crashed the plane. Accident report is here: https://www.sust.admin.ch/inhalte/AV-berichte/1793_d.pdf

Although the noise abatement driven runway/approach concept is only mentioned on one of the 150+ pages of the report, not mentioned as contributing factor and not mentioned in any of the 13 safety recommendations that have been triggered by the accident, there is still the stab-in-the-back myth that it was “the German’s fault” very present in Swiss aviation communities…

Germany

Not an uncommon practice between nations if you look at where many power plants are built

You mean, coal fired power stations near the Polish border, and the common wind being westerly?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tmo wrote:

street signs warning of stationary speed cameras, as well as areas where average speed over a distance is measured.

There was a shift in philosophy in England around 20-ish years ago. At that point the policy that speed cameras are supposed to be around (potential) accident hotspots was reinforced, but in addition the department of transport decided that speed cameras are supposed to be visible. So the grey boxes got yellow retroflective plates, warning signs went up, and those hidden behind trees were moved. (not that the fixed installations at the time were difficult to spot before – the lines on the street were a big giveaway…)

There appear to be two schools of thought:
– Let’s use the speed cameras to prevent speeding where it matters (Poland, Norway, UK, others mentioned in the thread)
– Let’s use the speed cameras to scare everyone into not speeding in general (Switzerland etc.)
There may also be those who want to maximize revenue…

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

coal fired power stations near the Polish border, and the common wind being westerly?

I think in general building nasty things near the border has the “advantage” of cutting out half of the people who can easily complain about it, regardless of wind direction…

Biggin Hill

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

We have them her too, all tunnels between Trondheim city and ENVA have them (length between 2km to 4.2km)…

Yes. I remember when they came. My ex had the idea at first that they measured between the tunnels with the inevitable result.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Cobalt, there is a third school of thought about the use of speed cameras and the obvious motivation to use them as a low cost way to tax. That is to make them illegal for any purpose. I think it’s the best of the three.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Jan 15:35
Sign in to add your message