Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

And believe me, there are a lot of ruffled feathers in the Brussels crowd

Amazing how you get those insights. Where in Brussels do you work?

Jacko wrote:

Barnier did not limit his threat to the odd case of a D-reg Airbus flown on a U.K. pilot’s licence.

I do not see how you would read anything else into his statement. He was very much correct that there would be immediate pilot licensing issues. The no-deal scenario is completely mad and he (and others) are right to come up with easy to understand examples. The law applies as it is written and if suddenly the UK loses the EU status but the law remains as is, the consequences would be dramatic.

Last Edited by achimha at 24 Oct 14:59

what_next wrote:

Tax evasion. Will not work in the UK I guess.

I believe our Chief Minister is going to be interviewed on BBC Panorama about VAT dodging via M-reg.

Andreas IOM

Tax evasion

I don’t think so. Evasion is illegal.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

The no-deal scenario is completely mad

I speak here purely as a true blooded Englishman and one who has all his “marbles” as the saying goes. In my opinion the statement above is entirely wrong. For the EU to lay down conditions that the UK finds unacceptable is exactly what will bring about a no deal and we will make our own way in the world. As a matter of interest I own a quite successful manufacturing company that exports a high % of manufactured product. It is interesting to see how the enquiries from potential new customers has had a growth spurt since we voted to leave the EU. I have enquired of some new potential customers the question “why now” and always the answer has been " we can deal with you now (well soon anyway) and not the EU." Draw ones own conclusions. The EU is a great idea that has been turned into a dictatorship, or very nearly so.
Just to be clear I love the European people but not the politicians and the unelected dictators in Brussels.

Rant over

UK, United Kingdom

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Just to be clear I love the European people but not the politicians and the unelected dictators in Brussels.

But you trust the dictators in Westminster more than Brussels?
The funny bit is that due to Brexit, the government can soon modify any law as they wish without asking the Westminster dictators.

United Kingdom

Yes, “no-deal” is really “no big deal” for UK exporters. My company’s non-EU sales are up 400% since the Brexit vote. I thought it might be just us or our business sector, but it is heartening to hear that others are suffering as severely.

Last Edited by Jacko at 24 Oct 16:15
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

My business is suffering too, with exports up about 3x since the referendum. Largely due to the exchange rate shift, I think, but also it got a lot of “foreign” customers to take a look at UK products.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am a Europhile but I find the EU side of the negotiators absolutely infuriating, and it makes it very hard to remain a Europhile when you see what a lot of the unelected civil servants are doing in the EU with regards to Brexit. (I also find the UK side pretty infuriating). The big issue we will have in our industry in particular here is that the pool of people we can recruit without a visa will go down by 90% when the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal. Companies will start leaving when they can’t recruit – it’s already a tough sell in the Isle of Man due to the high cost of living here (normal people don’t really benefit from the taxation rules) and the often dismal weather. The “e-gaming” industry for instance will simply move to Malta. Although the island applies its own immigration rules, it uses the UKVI (UK Visas/Immigration) to do all the front end processing, and the UKVI is an utter shambles (we’ve been waiting for EIGHT WEEKS for them to send the passport back of someone they approved at the end of August, all the while their escalation process provides useless and wrong information. The UKVI has surrounded themselves in an impenetrable bureaucratic armour meaning we cannot get any useful information from someone who actually works there).

Last Edited by alioth at 24 Oct 16:36
Andreas IOM

what_next wrote:

Tax evasion. Will not work in the UK I guess

Well our aircraft are Isle of Man registered and we pay all our taxes. Your sweeping statement is just wrong

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Peter wrote:

Normally you keep the biggest weapons back till you need them, and there is a lot of time to go.

It’s the other way around. The “biggest weapon” would be a hard Brexit, but that is the starting position in the negotiations. So of course if the UK leaves and nothing else happens, then UK licenses will not be recognised for the purpose of flying EASA aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message