Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How are you navigating?

Yes, Jason, of course for a flight to EDMS that is a complete overkill! I am still in the testing phase …

When I do a longer IFR flight though, I like SD as a backup (The iPad is inside my kneepad, when i close it I just write notes on it with a pen). If I am about to switch from IFR back to VFR I think it’s pretty helpful to see the C airspaces (much better than on the Avidyne) and also when I’m on checklist or engine pages on the MFD it’s nice.

The MAIN idea though was BACKUP, right. I bought the iPad to have all Manuals (plane, avionics, cameras, computers as well as my Jepp View subscription PLUS ROCKET ROUTE and all those weather apps … normally I will not use it on IFR flights though. But I am still learning that stuff, so I let it run …

(The picture does really not show it, but actually I prefer to fly without the iPad and too many gadgets …. It’s really mire fun and safer to look outside :-)

one of our famous “What´s correct on this picture?” series….. This time it´s altitude. People are usually selecting 3000 or 3500. That´s why I´ll usually end up with something similar like Alexisvc ;-)

LKKU, LKTB

what next,
well, that’s really a matter of taste. I NEVER set my moving maps “track up”…. I would get lost in a minute ;-))

Michal, I never fly “straight” altitudes VFR … always 3400 or 4300 or something like that. And I try NOT to fly directly over navaids and other waypoints all pilots use. It paid of already … I remember 2 near misses close to VORs ….

Alexisvc, I am fully with you. Actually, not fully, I need by display Track up – otherwise I would get lost in about two minutes…

LKKU, LKTB

I never fly “straight” altitudes VFR … always 3400 or 4300 or something like that

A good thing…as long as one realizes that it’s mostly an illusion to think that it will help with traffic. Under VFR, most people are flying around at totally different QNHs, which can account for at least 100 feet. In addition, in my experience the altimeters in VFR aircraft are often “off” by up to 100 feet…

Anyway, you have my vote for being “north up”

What’s wrong with your fuel totalizer?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Jan 18:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Understood Alexis. I agree MFDs are not good for VFR flying. Something like SD can make it easier to avoid controlled airspace.

Anything other than track up is just wrong…

EGTK Oxford

that reminds me – cockpit of 50-ties with IPAq. There is something worth your attention ;-) Not wrong but a bit unusual…

picture is not mine, but Richard will be surely OK with publishing it here….

Last Edited by Michal at 30 Jan 18:44
LKKU, LKTB

Nice photo- is it a classic Zlin?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

yep. 1954 build Z-126. just now starting to plan a birthday party on April 24….

Last Edited by Michal at 30 Jan 19:58
LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message