Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing (merged threads)

Yes for the break-in flight and I did. New cylinders tend to run hot though, at least mine have in the past and in this case as well; full power is a lot of pressure.

EGTF, LFTF

You mentioned that blue sky was close. Did you consider climbing?

The worst icing is normally in the top few hundred feet of a cloud layer, so often one runs out of options when almost out of it.

AFAIK the real minimum for supercooled water existence is -40C.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did consider but going down to a layer I knew to be ice free was easier.

EGTF, LFTF

I have just been watching this video from 2014. It may have been posted here previously (the pilot who made it, @cheshunt, was on here years ago)

Some key points:

• icing forecasts are basically worthless
  • you can get ice underneath the wing which won’t be visible on a low wing aircraft
  • better to fly higher where it is too cold for icing, even if you get more headwind

What I don’t quite understand is why he has not asked ATC for a re-route to the south to avoid the wx which the ADL was showing. He may have done this to get it on film, but he collected a lot of ice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From memory, he also develops an intuitive manner to avoid trouble (and icing) by usually going where the light shines (by opposition to darkness).
Unusual decision he also inquired after the flight.
Very educative video.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

DO you consider TKS effective on your 210 ?
Have ever faced air induction icing while flying all year round, in Central Europe, or even, before, in the states ?
Do you dream about icing ?

Effective? Yes

Dream icing? No

KHTO, LHTL

@C210_Flyer
Have you ever faced induction icing as Peter reported at least twice ?

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Have you ever faced induction icing as Peter reported at least twice ?

No, never. And over the years Ive been inadvertently in extreme ice once. That incident, is what led me to install the TKS system the moment it was STC’d for the 210.

KHTO, LHTL

@C210_Flyer
Do you sometimes fly in IMC between -15 and -25 degrees Celsius ?
Do you have a manual or automatic alternate air ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 14 Apr 13:33
Sign in to add your message